Water in fuel

fin-addict

Last weekend fueled boat, just under half full. Filled to 3/4. While running noticed mph was 30 and rpm 4800, not normal. Normal is 30 @ 4000. Did have a heavy load of people wt wise. Ran 1/2 hr. Stopped to fish awhile. Then ran again. Within three minutes alarm sounded and went into limp mode.    Went into BS Marina, Charlotte Harbor. Called my mechanic and explained problem and stated I felt it was water in fuel because it happened almost a year ago after fueling at same marina. I always use this marina for fuel. Had me run some tests and agreed about water in fuel. Did not have the items aboard to correct myself. (Will not happen again). Had mechanic at BS take a look and agreed with water. Changed out and cleaned filters, removed about three gallons of water till gas was crystal clear. After leaving marina boat ran 30 @ 4000 as it should. 

As stated this happen last year also having to drain three gallons of gas with water until clear. This happened after fueling and only ran about 200 yards. 

Marina both times stated it is not their gas as it is tested weekly. Checked my gas cap O ring and it appears good. Boat does not collect water in bilge except after heavy rains then only a quart or two. Never an oil slick when I turn on the bilge pump to test it and there is some water in the bilge from washing.

does anyone have an idea what I may look for as the cause. Again it has happened only twice in the last year and never in the seven years of owning it before this. 

Sorry to be so wordy but want to give all details of what I know. Thanks guys. 😀😀fin

Does anyone know the size O ring needed for the gas fill cap. Want to change it for the h..... of it. More than likely orig.

2003 2200v

• Like 1

I can't help you with the answer but you made a good point about changing that o-ring. I've noticed when it rains while the boat is parked that water pools around the gas fill area based on how the slicks in the gelcoat are done. It pools to the point where it goes a bit over the cap. I have to literally raise the the front of the trailer to almost NASA launch angle for it not to happen. So I will most definitely act on your thought about that o-ring and I am going to replace it..

29 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Due to the above, thinking of changing from my canister filter to a clear bowl at bottom with drain to check condition of fuel and drain if needed. Any pro or con to my thinking. Thanks fin

All pro

Likely that water had been accumulating in your tank for awhile and finally got high enough to get sucked up in the fuel line. 

I regularly drain and check my filter and am always surprised how much water gets in there and my boat is stored inside and run on non ethanol.

Oh yeah, the missing $.50 O-ring on the Perko fuel fill that cost me hundreds!!! Don't even want to think about that! Yes!! go with the Racor filter with the clear bowl. Worth the extra money. I ALWAYS carry an extra filter (with strap wrench), buy them on eBay, or where ever, and save yourself some money. Oh yeah, not sure I'd believe the marina guy. 

Quick story, one of the boats that went to the Bahamas with me back in July had serious water issues in the gas, had to drain both the the Racor and the engine filter twice to make it over. On the way home he had the same issue, I told him to go back and sit with the Racor and drain the water every 15 minutes....when running.....or when it got to 3/4" up in the bowl. Worked perfect, made it back by draining the water before it bypassed the Racor element and pushed the water to the engine filter which set off the alarm.

13 hours ago, DonV said:

Oh yeah, the missing $.50 O-ring on the Perko fuel fill that cost me hundreds!!! Don't even want to think about that! Yes!! go with the Racor filter with the clear bowl. Worth the extra money. I ALWAYS carry an extra filter (with strap wrench), buy them on eBay, or where ever, and save yourself some money. Oh yeah, not sure I'd believe the marina guy. 

Quick story, one of the boats that went to the Bahamas with me back in July had serious water issues in the gas, had to drain both the the Racor and the engine filter twice to make it over. On the way home he had the same issue, I told him to go back and sit with the Racor and drain the water every 15 minutes....when running.....or when it got to 3/4" up in the bowl. Worked perfect, made it back by draining the water before it bypassed the Racor element and pushed the water to the engine filter which set off the alarm.

Yes, now carrying everything needed to do on water filter change and water purge.

27 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Not proud of it but I have ad to dump my separator, and pump my water overboard through the bulb in order to get to good gas. 

Know what you mean but at times you just don’t have a choice, have thought of having to do that myself just in case. Having a problem trying to find the proper O ring for gas cap and clear bowl filter. West marine here is useless sorry to say.

as a side note. After owning the boat for seven years this has only happen twice in the last year. Each time the same three people were with me, all very large. Wondering if by them sitting in the front water is being splashed up into my fuel line vent, just seems strange only when they are onboard. Just saying. Lol. 😂

32 minutes ago, Coto said:

I went to west marine and the 1 1/2” diameter 2 pack Perko o-rings are not the right size. Had to get the 1 1/4 2 pack from boat owners warehouse cause west marine only carries the 1 1/2. Next time I will go to Home Depot and get them there.

F6E1EB97-7ECD-4AD3-96E0-30798B0D9866.thumb.jpeg.665676d2a9560b856f196d93722c0da7.jpeg

Thank you so very very much 🙏😀😀😀.

10 minutes ago, Coto said:

Your welcome, sorry I can’t help with the bowl diameter size for the Racor...I use the Yamaha big blue.

Just ordered ring from go 2 marine, 4.79. Also found correct clear bowl filter through amazon. It’s a Racor clear bowl, $54. Thanks again for the help and thanks to the rest of you to. Much appreciated as always, 😀😀 fin 

yes, have always used big blue but want to keep an eye on this for awhile.

5 hours ago, jason p said:

Does anyone know if Racor makes a filter & bowl that thread onto the Yamaha filter housing, if so the part number?

Yes they do. Just ordered one today thru Amazon. Cost is $54.45. Filter with clear bowl.  Number on filter is S3213.  Additional info, Model year, B32013   ASIN B000N9L13s. States it will fit Yamaha. Changing to this, been using the big blue Yamaha.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Yes they do. Just ordered one today thru Amazon. Cost is $54.45. Filter with clear bowl.  Number on filter is S3213.  Additional info, Model year, B32013   ASIN B000N9L13s. States it will fit Yamaha. Changing to this, been using the big blue Yamaha.

I have been using this set up for 15 years since I bought my first RF2003.

I carry a big blue as a backup in the event of a major problem; however, I feel that the ability to see any debris, etc. in the bowl is an advantage when I'm heading out...I check it every trip. NOTE: There is a rmanufacturers recommendation it should only be used above deck according the NMAA (i think it's the association), as it is plastic vs. the big blue. 

That being said, if properly installed and checked for leaks very trip, I see minimal risk for having this in a hatch.

DC

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, fin-addict said:

Know what you mean but at times you just don’t have a choice, have thought of having to do that myself just in case. Having a problem trying to find the proper O ring for gas cap and clear bowl filter. West marine here is useless sorry to say.

as a side note. After owning the boat for seven years this has only happen twice in the last year. Each time the same three people were with me, all very large. Wondering if by them sitting in the front water is being splashed up into my fuel line vent, just seems strange only when they are onboard. Just saying. Lol. 😂

I think you are right about the water entering the fuel vent. It's only happened twice in seven years and both times the same 3 very large people were onboard, sitting up front.

• 1 month later...

Just pumped my tank.  Convinced my water is entering console, seeping thru access hatch, pooling on top of poly tank and entering thru leaky gasket at fuel sender unit.  Replaced the unit and gasket.  Will cap or cover my rod holders on sides of console.  Also replacing my filler o ring.  Just something to look into.

5 hours ago, lurem said:

It is an on going problem with most of us and we deal with by being ready both on and of the water with extra parts and such.  Does anyone use any additives (Aka 'snake oil" to some) to help with moisture/water in the tank? Starbrite, Lucas, BG, etc?

To me they are all snake oil when it comes to removing moisture.  Some help prevent phase separation but that's about it.  Best thing I have seen to avoid moisture is... 1) Use rec fuel if at all possible 2) keep tank full 3) Start and run the boat a lot!

I unscrew my separator every so often and dump it into a clear glass jar.  If all is well I screw it back on and run the boat.  I almost never see any water and I run a lot of fuel thru my tank. 

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

To me they are all snake oil when it comes to removing moisture.  Some help prevent phase separation but that's about it.  Best thing I have seen to avoid moisture is... 1) Use rec fuel if at all possible 2) keep tank full 3) Start and run the boat a lot!

I unscrew my separator every so often and dump it into a clear glass jar.  If all is well I screw it back on and run the boat.  I almost never see any water and I run a lot of fuel thru my tank. 

Running a lot of fuel through your tank probably is the biggest factor to never having a problem .

Use Non ethanol if you can get it, boats and everything like lawn equipment.

rather than spending money on snake oil to remove water buy rubbing alcohol. Much cheaper and does the same thing, mixes with water and moves it through your system anyway. 

water separator with bowl on the bottom. Easy inspection of your fuel. 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, lurem said:

It is an on going problem with most of us and we deal with by being ready both on and of the water with extra parts and such.  Does anyone use any additives (Aka 'snake oil" to some) to help with moisture/water in the tank? Starbrite, Lucas, BG, etc?

"K 100"      It is the real thing. 800 hours, seven years, I have used nothing about ethanol gas. I use a full dose once a year and 1/4 dose every other fill up. Never had any fuel problems. Of course I am running a modern four stroke that was built for ethanol.