hyd steering problem

mustang190

I have a 2013 22TE. the steering has become very erratic. I have purged and bled the system and the steering actuator is in good shape.

But, the helm can sometimes be unresponsive. If you turn the wheel fast or sharp, the steering cylinder will work fine. But if you slowly turn the wheel there is no response, some times you can feel it catch and the cylinder will move. 

I am thinking the helm is bad? There are no leaks anywhere. and the helm is full of fluid .

Can anyone recommend a place that rebuilds helms?

1 hour ago, mustang190 said:

Boat tracks straight while underway. The motor does not fall over while tilted up either. 

Does seem to point towards check valves in helm.  You can try removing and inspecting/cleaning them. Lots of threads on the internet about this. Call boat steer and see what they think. Really nice people and good customer service. After changing my cylinder I had to bleed numerous times waiting a day or two in between per boat steers instructions before all the air was out. 

How old and dirty is the fluid?

A smart move is to remove the old fluid. Then get some Phillips 66 aircraft hydraulic fluid to replace it with.

The process is fairly straightforward and the price for the  aircraft hydraulic fluid is relatively cheap compared to  sea star fluid.

If interested I will post how to do with some pictures.

23 hours ago, smilemaker said:

How old and dirty is the fluid?

A smart move is to remove the old fluid. Then get some Phillips 66 aircraft hydraulic fluid to replace it with.

The process is fairly straightforward and the price for the  aircraft hydraulic fluid is relatively cheap compared to  sea star fluid.

If interested I will post how to do with some pictures.

It is kind of dark. I replaced the steering control about two years ago, replaced all the fluid. You can use aircraft hydraulic fluid? I can get plenty of that. 

Many people claim it is better.

As far as quality and specs if it is for a plane I figure the quality  control is on the upper end.

I get mine at a small plane local airport.  It is made by Phillips 66 I believe. 

I looked it up and the common spec is 5606. Seastar and Phillips appear to be the same. Some people advocate using ATF but I have more confidence  in aviation's products. Unde $ 5 a quart.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, mustang190 said:

I have a 2013 22TE. the steering has become very erratic. I have purged and bled the system and the steering actuator is in good shape.

But, the helm can sometimes be unresponsive. If you turn the wheel fast or sharp, the steering cylinder will work fine. But if you slowly turn the wheel there is no response, some times you can feel it catch and the cylinder will move. 

I am thinking the helm is bad? There are no leaks anywhere. and the helm is full of fluid .

Can anyone recommend a place that rebuilds helms?

The symptoms you are describing indicate that the valves in the helm are dirty. I don't know where the particulate matter comes from or why it's attracted to the valves, but the valves are sticking because of an accumulation of crud in the bottom of the helm.  It's not a job that requires any special skills.

as SCFD said Rebuilding the  helm is not difficult, you just need a clean bench to work on.  The inside of the helm looks like an old rotary phone dial. Each number is a piston that gets pushed down as the dial goes over it. In a dirty system these valves get stuck down and don't move fluid.  When you turn the opposite direction a switch valves redirects the fluid.  Not difficult to do but as in all hydraulic work always use new o rings and keep things clean.