Mildew on the non skid

F1sh0n

So my boat has been sitting, well, a while. Picked it up yesterday to move it to Goodland since I will be fishing from there primarily and noticed my boat is covered in mildew. So far I have tried Clorox Cleanup and Sea Brite teflon non skid cleaner "whatever" with very little success. Flat surfaces clean up just fine with Clorox. Considering some starbrite mildew remover as it is on my seats as well but wanted to ask the forum as I have heard it is caustic and can be hard on paint.

Thanks in advance,

William

You certainly don't want the mildew to penetrate the vinyl and start growing on the padding which is attached to back-side of the vinyl. Once it reaches the padding, you'll never get rid of that nasty stuff.

If you are worried about it's effects on painted surfaces, just use gloves and a sponge to apply and keep a garden hose handy to spray the painted stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

So I used the star brite mildew stain remover and man does it work! The hardest part is to let it sit and do the cleaning for you. Very little brush work involved, just got it to a sudse composition and let it set. So far after about 10 days no mildew has returned but I have been using my boat regularly on my vacation with daily rinse downs at a min..

woody wax, what am I doing wrong. followed directions and no shine at all from it, water does bead up better. i keep the boat super clean and there is a good shine on smooth surfaces as before but non skid is dull. does not appear to have any oxidation on it. used it 2 months ago for first time. :confused: fin

I guess that the non-skid was somewhat oxidized before you used the Woody-Wax. I just started using W-W after buying my boat in 2013 so mine still shines like new. Never had a chance to oxidize.

I've heard to guys using a mild compound and a stiff brush to restore the non-skid. I did that on my old bay boat and what a difference. One person even found a way to attach a brush to a polisher/grinder which made the job much easier.

I'll try to find an old pic

This is my old 2000 23ft. Polar Bay boat. Pics were from about 2012.

condopaintpics003.jpg

The pics of the non-skid are not a good as I thought, but trust me, the compound really made a difference.

condopaintpics008.jpg

yes, I was thinking of compound with a brush also. my non skid is of the grit type. as I recall years ago looking at new pathfinders with the same grit non skid it did not seem they had gloss on it either. I may be mistaken.

my non skid looks very much like yours. I may be expecting too much and unrealistic.

I have seen the brush you attach to a drill.

thanks much, fin :)

Archived