Structure Scanning Machine Recommendations

RipTide

Have always had Garmin's on my other boats.

Am getting ready to replace older Si-Tex bottom scanning unit (came w/ boat) on the GW and would like some recommendations for a new machine.

Looking for something that's somewhat user friendly.

Am restricted to compartment space of

9"H x 11.5"W over the helm so whatever it is,

needs to fit within the space specs.

Needing hi-def bottom detail to find new dive sights just to start the list of off shore needs.

Don't want to spend a fortune but would like something that has detailed bottom scan abilities.

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks

Well not sure what your budget is but if you want hi def, go Lowrance or Simrad and the new 3d structure scan module / transducer. Not only does it do the 3D thing but it has amazing resolution and much improved range over the standard LSS2... hands down the best on the market that im aware of

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/News/StructureScan-3D-news/

Budget all depends on how much your going to donate Fin. ;)

Guess I should have included "and" who has second to none customer support and has the least issues of all other units.

That does look pretty awesome.

Does the other units out there which are touch screen have the same finger scrolling capabilities as the Simrad unit?

Figured I'ld pick your brains and save me the aggravation of researching each and every unit out there.

Budget all depends on how much your going to donate Fin. ;)

Guess I should have included "and" who has second to none customer support and has the least issues of all other units.

That does look pretty awesome.

Does the other units out there which are touch screen have the same finger scrolling capabilities as the Simrad unit?

Figured I'ld pick your brains and save me the aggravation of researching each and every unit out there.

Haha... advice is free!

No the scrolling in the vid was the new 3d structure scan that only Navico has as far as I know.

Most any unit will paint good pics inshore its when you get in deeper water where the differences come to light. Humminbirds do a good job out of the box and have just a touch better image detail. If you are going to be using it offshore Range becomes an issue with all current units... in other words you wont get what is advertised. The reason range is important is because the deeper you go the less amount of bottom you will be able to see on the screen due to the large blank (black) space in the center of the screen, which gets wider as you get deeper. The 3D module and ducer fixes that

I'm no expert, after much study I just installed EchMap Garmin. (On sale as new echoChirp comes in Jan). The down & side views now are chirp (approx 250hz). The new unit has 3 chirp settings. Also $400 more or so.

Took out last week, no deeper than 25ft. Views were very good.

Btw: have touch on another boat and I personally don't like that feature when running or waves I seem to touch screen inadvertently and mess stuff up

We are buying an EVO2 for bigger boat. Has all the cool sounder stuff built in (transducer separate purchase). Haven't used but agree the 3D video on utube is super cool

That just ain't right, dangle candy in front of a kid and he can't have it.

It's all FC's fault. :susel: ;)

Just got off the phone with SIMRAD and the SC-3D isn't going to be released for another couple???(secret) of months.

Grrrrrr

Pre-order only as of right now.

He also informed me the SC-3D down scan has a documented range of 600' while the side imagery is only 300'.

Regardless, I Want One!!!

That just ain't right, dangle candy in front of a kid and he can't have it.

It's all FC's fault. :susel: ;)

Just got off the phone with SIMRAD and the SC-3D isn't going to be released for another couple???(secret) of months.

Grrrrrr

Pre-order only as of right now.

He also informed me the SC-3D down scan has a documented range of 600' while the side imagery is only 300'.

Regardless, I Want One!!!

Not that long to wait and it will be worth it. Buy the unit and regular TD of your choice and use it till it comes in.

BTW in case you didn't know its also for Lowrance HDS gen 3, which is cheaper than EVO, also the screen on the EVO is real shiny gl***y type which seemed to me would reflect sunlight way to easy.... HDS has more of a matte look, plus you can customize all the display readouts on screen with HDS.... cant with Simrad. So look at the lowrance and see which appeals more to you

• 1 month later...

Well folks, it's all "Fin's" fault!

Sure hope this system is everything it's suppose to be.

It's suppose to be amazing.

We will see.

Simrad NSS12 EVO2

4G radar

Structure Scan 3D

B265C-LH

RC42 Rate Comp***

Once the sticker price shock wears off I'll be adding auto pilot, BSM-3 sounder and another MFD.

Will post back w/ pics once installed and fired up.

Hey Riptide, I'll be very curious how you like that 3D structure scan. I'm waffling between the new Elite TI, which is pretty inexpensive but not upgradeable to 3D, or the HDS gen 3, which is 2x as much and requires an additional grand to upgrade. But those YouTube videos make it seem worth it!

Might want to check w/ B*** Pro. Just received a flyer in the mail and it looks like some decent prices.

I just got a Simrad NSS7 Evo2, don't have a transducer or transducers yet but it is much smarter then I am. Pretty amazing what it can do. I took the boat out last weekend and the charts are pretty amazing, easy to see in daylight and the screen seems much bigger then it is, I'm sure the 12 is amazing. Got a tm150 coming this week and waiting for people to start dumping the lss2 for the new stuff, shoukd work fine on the Maverick.

I just got a Simrad NSS7 Evo2, don't have a transducer or transducers yet but it is much smarter then I am. Pretty amazing what it can do. I took the boat out last weekend and the charts are pretty amazing, easy to see in daylight and the screen seems much bigger then it is, I'm sure the 12 is amazing. Got a tm150 coming this week and waiting for people to start dumping the lss2 for the new stuff, shoukd work fine on the Maverick.

Definitely going to take a slight learning curve.

Got mine from BOE Marine.

No taxes, free shipping and Boat Show prices. :content:

The promo is a gift card for $200 and a free vhf radio.

The 4G radar is suppose to be equivalent of a 3.5' array.

Can track birds or whatever else you want to.

Can't wait to get everything and installed.

DROOoooool.

Archived