First Car for Daughter. Looking for reviews.

rubble

Looking for a used Jetta, Audi A3 or Honda Accord.  My son has had a lot of luck with an Accord.  We got it pre-owned with 90k miles and the thing just runs.  Not super well built and not so sure how safe but turn the key on and press the gas.  The Jetta and A3 are very similar and the 1.8T engines are identical.  Build quality is better and very safe but I’m afraid of the Euro gremlins.  Either you get a car that can get 300k miles or you can’t get 60k without having major issues.  

Any of you all have experience with the Jettas or A3/A4s?  How have they held up?  Easy to service?  Are those cars that can get 200k miles?  

We have had 2 accords.  One was totaled.  Was a good car.  Now have the 08’ accord. Bought for $5k.  Put another $2k in for tires, body work and piston rings.  Dang thing just runs.  On our second Pilot.  Honda brand has been good for us but really like the styling of the Jetta and Audi.  My mom had a Jetta wagon TDi until it got totaled.  Great car.

I have twin daughters and bought both of them Gen 3 4Runners. They have been amazing and both of ours are 2001s.  I had a hard time buying the first one as it had 124k miles on it and I could hardly make myself do it.  Bought one in 2011 and the second one a year later and both are still going strong.  Not the greatest on gas but both drove them to college and were able to haul all of their stuff to college without us after their first year..   I have a buddy with an '01 that he bought new and he has nearly 400k miles on his.  

They stand tall and afford way better visibility than a sedan.  Hondas are great too but I would buy both of these again if I had it to do over.

I have three daughters, I bought all of them Honda’s.One civic, one accord, and one CRV all brand new. The deal I have with them is they work and help pay for their cars, when they are paid off they are all theirs. I chose Hondas for three reasons, safety, reliability, and resale. I wanted them to have safe reliable fuel efficient transportation to get them through high school and college leaving them with cars that still have a fair amount of value towards their next car. My experience with VW and Audio are not so good. My recommendation is stick with Honda or Toyota. 

• Thanks 1

Thought I would chime in, got our first daughter a 2005 Mazda 3 in 09', she drove it for several years, it then went to my son as my daughter used it through college and now has purchased her first Honda accord.  Son drove the Mazda 3 for another 3 years and now has my 04 Dodge RAM as I commute 60 miles one way to work so I have a hybrid.  Mazda then went to son number 2 and is currently driving it and still going strong.  We are the second owners of the car. Daughter number 2 has a 1999 Toyota 4-runner.  I bought from my sister in law.  I can't say enough about the Mazda or Honda brand.  So far no one has had an accident that had me scared, minor bumps are a common thing in young drivers we have had some of those.  My thought for my son was a beater but mom would have none of that.  They have to have something that was dependable and reliable.   Hence the Mazda and the Toyota.  Hopes this helps...

Not a daughter but my sister is 13 years younger so I have some perspective. She had an Audi A4 as a first car (I guess it pays to be born 15 years into a family business instead of at the start... not bitter or anything, I drove a 1971 Chevy pick up that I poured concrete to pay $1200 for) euro gremlins are real, the car was a total nightmare to the point my Dad didn’t want her taking it to college. Then she got a Volvo, little better but the same deal once the warranty was up. Now that she’s panting for her own transportation she’s driving a Lexus. 

My daughters first car was our hand me down  mercury marques. Belonged to my father in law and had very low miles. We still have it in the family. My daughter in law loves driving it. When my daughter set out to college we got her a new Honda Civic. Three years and its has been flawless. Awesome Car!   Easy do drive, park and take care of.