Installing Second Bilge Pump

jack f

Installing second bilge pump on my 2008 22XL. Key question is how the pump can be mounted. Epoxy a PVC block? Any tips on doing that & or options? Also I've attempted to add three pictures. One shows the two side by side thru hull discharge outlets. Another shows a added access plate inside the rigging locker to facilitate installation. The third shows the two bilge pumps as installed in the bilge. There was a fourth picture (not included) shows a access plate in the bottom of the middle baitwell to improve access to install the bilge. Is the bilge access plate still recommended? All my information & pictures originate from this forums member posts. Thank you all and I look forward to receiving advice on my project.

Bilge_Pump_Pics_2nd_Pump.rtf

I’ve been thinking about tackling the same project for a couple of years.  I was 31 miles offshore a few years ago when my bilge  pump failed, while at the same time, my baitwell pump was leaking water in my bilge.

Not until I started heading in, did I notice that I was stern heavy and discovered a bilge full of water.  Luckily, the weather was good and I had a spare pump and hose on board that I use to pump out an external shad tank that I use for striper fishing.

I have all the parts and pieces, but have been putting off this job because it will be a pain in the ***.  But with winter almost here, maybe I will find the energy to tackle this important project in the next few months.

I put a second bilge  pump in my 02 22TE.  As tight a fit as the bilge is on a 22 TE any other boat should be  easy.

First get your hose run to make sure your route is going to work.  Don't forget to  place a loop with the top as high as the outflow.  Drill and place the external thruhull. Attach the pump to a piece of 3/4 pvc and the hose. Do a dry run on placement then clean the bilge and epoxy in place. 

Not too difficult as long as you check for hose run and thruhull angle and fitting.

16 hours ago, Mike45q said:

You can also buy a manual pump. Cheap insurance for bilge pump failure.  Most marine stores sell $40 to $60.

By the Way , my bilge pump on a 2003 22v is almost impossible to access unless you have really long arms. Are later models more accessible?

Yes you almost have to do it blindly. A lot of owners replace the pie plate with an 11x17 hatch. Not available anymore. Could ask others what their using now. Some have used scope camera to help with the change out. My mechanic just did mine a few months ago, took all of 15 minutes. Sahara 1100 gph.

now

I put a second bilge pump in my 23 HPS. I would suggest that you have two entirely separate systems. Put the second bilge pump on a separate switch, separate battery, etc. Now, if you have a failure of one bilge pump because of a switch, wiring, fuse, battery or whatever, it does not effect the other bilge pump. That's the whole idea, you want a redundant system.

I installed the second pump on a piece of PVC board, then used 3-M 5200 to attach to the bilge floor. I put the discharge hose on the other side of the boat (opposite from factory install) so I would be able to tell if it was discharging water. You can form the discharge hose to any configuration you need by using a heat gun (just go slow).