Master Angler Questions

CRD Dawg

Greetings All,

Been lurking here for some time as I research potential flats boats for me and am finding myself drawn to the Maverick Master Angler 18, or possibly the 17 if that’s all the budget allows, and have a few product questions. I live in Savannah, GA and would not be using the boat for technical poling, so extreme shallow draft and poleability are not a big concern. Some might suggest a small bay boat, but I’m really looking for something smaller and more nimble for the tighter areas I’d like to explore. I would possibly remove the poling platform for increased space for fishing the stern and I’d rarely be in less than 2 feet of water (shallowest would usually be 2-4ft). I am looking for something that could handle some intracoastal waterway chop as I make my way to the smaller more remote fishing areas I want to explore. Also, I'm wanting a relatively stable fishing platform (for my 2 boys or father) - not sure if those 2 requirements somewhat conflict with each other. It would usually be fished with 2 people, occasionally 3. Not sure the Max Capacity on these 2 hulls, but there would be occasions that I would like to use it to transport 4 people to nearby beaches. So after a lot of reading old threads I have a few questions. Thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

1. What years was the MA produced? I see quite a range in years and also have seen some ads that appear to list early HPX’s as MA’s. Could be wrong on that though.
  2. Are they a deeper V, thus more able to handle inshore chop?
  3. If so, does that make them a bit more tippy than an HPX?
  4. What is the main difference between the MA’s and early 2000’s HPX’s? Weight? Hull design?
  5. Are there certain years to seek out or to avoid for MA’s?
  6. Are any years partial wood construction? (Thinking I’d be looking at early to mid 90’s to early 2000’s)
  7. It appears that the 18 MA’s from the 90’s appear to have 4 storage compartments in the bow. I assume #1 - anchor, #2 - fuel tank access, #3 & #4 - storage. Is this correct?
  8. Why do the MA’s from 2000-2003 timeframe only appear to have 2 bow compartments - anchor and tank access only, or some storage too? As you can see, potential storage is a question for me.
  9. Since I seem to be zoning in on MA’s from the 90’s, are there known structural issues from this era to look out for? Seen some threads about stringer issues.

Again, thanks for any info you can offer.

***Mods - if this is not the correct sub-forum to post this, please feel free to move to appropriate location. This is not intended to be a WTB thread, really just product knowledge.***

I have not yet owned a Maverick. I will try to field a couple of your questions. You mentioned you were looking at something in 90’s era. From what I have seen the most common issue is the fuel tank. I have not seen anyone rebuild a Hewes maverick or pathfinder with weak transom or soft floor. 
 They say the MA is a beast in the type of chop you would encounter up here in the sounds around Savannah. 

Dawg, I am sure others will chime in with more knowledge than me but I have a 96 MA. I have put 700 hours on her in 10 years. Obviously bought it used but from my neighbor so 2nd owner. Everything is 96. Hull, engine and trailer. Gone through a few axles, wheels etc but it's as she was made 24 years ago with couple exceptions. Neighbor ordered it to bass fish so he ordered it with double rod lockers, all three wet wells plumbed with fill and recirc pumps and with slick back deck thus no pole platform. I ran it a year or so that way and did not like it at all. I added one. Poling is not something you will enjoy except under certain circumstances. To quote a fellow forum member...to get an idea of how it poles...put your truck in neutral and jump in the bed with your post pole and move it around a level parking lot 🤣 WIth the tide and easing along some of our spots we have been known to pole. Well at least until the remote control troller was perfected in the salt. The usefulness really to us for the platform was in the handles it provides lol. It serves as lunch duty station/cup holder/rigging station. Handy too for climbing over the deck on lobster trips to keys too. I had mine made to tuck my Yeti 55 in side the pipes so it serves as a cooler holder of sorts too. Seriously though I run twin power poles and it provides a niche for them and my VHF and stern light as well as some rod holders. We run the beach a bit both here and west coast and its ideal to situate troll rods and something rigged and ready to pitch to a rolling tarpon. I have four holds and in summer add two more to keep the bigger rods out of way as the console gets tight loaded with rods. We came from a 22' bay boat with tandem trailer and t top and looked to downsize as kids were doing their high school thing and some may throw the flag and call me crazy but this thing rides as good as it did. Certainly easier to launch and recover solo as I do often now that I am somewhat retired. It is heavy and that certainly helps the ride but hinders the pole. Mine more so than most with double rod lockers. She needs 18" to fish without banging bottom. In NE Florida so we have similar tides but your are bigger. Still we gain or lose 6" of water every 30 minutes so you have to be bit cognizant of what's under on the fall as you are not shoving it off a bar. I can't answer every question but do know they changed the caps and added the sea chest long about maybe 1998. Mine has no sea chest rather it has 2 high speed pickups feeding the rear wells. The forward hatch is anchor, the center is a drained to bilge well for cast nets etc and then it has two other lockers in front of the forward bulkhead. One of mine was plumbed as crustacean well and the other dry but both drain to the self bail deck. The tanks up until they changed the cap are 50 gallon aluminum made by TNT Boatworks in Ft. Pierce. Mine is OEM. There is no access to it though when it dies as the deck as to be cut to get it. I have heard on here of stringer issues on some 21's that may not from hitting an object but all the ones I read regarding the 18.5s seem to be from hitting something submerged. To my knowledge no wood ever in a Maverick. As for the comparison of MA to HPX...there is none really. Totally different boat. Doesn't ride as good as the MA but the HPX is a fine ride and floats way more skinny than the MA and while not "tippy" is way more so than a MA. I have fished them all as I have friends with both. The HPX with the right power is stinking fast too. The MA with good power and correct prop will be low to mid 50s usually. For the way I fish I would not be happy with the 17. Have buddy with one of those too and fished it a bit. It is a different boat than the 18. The Hewes Light Tackle in that era floats a tad skinnier and runs a tad faster but is a pretty good boat to look over if you can't find the right MA. As Honey says...it is a beast of a boat in the chop. I have fished mine from Charleston to Keys including Mosquito Lagoon on right coast and Steinhatchee to Captiva on the left and its done all I have ever needed it to and including dragging the kiddos on wake boards and skis. I have to pull my tournament prop off for that though and stick on the PT 4 blade lol.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!  I also did a ton of research before buying my 2000 MA18 about 3 years ago.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.  I use it very similar to the way you plan to with 2-3 people, occasionally a couple more to get out to the sandbar.  My answers based on my fuzzy memory...

• What years was the MA produced? I see quite a range in years and also have seen some ads that appear to list early HPX’s as MA’s. Could be wrong on that though.

I think late 80's to 2006ish?  Then the technical skiffs took over.

• Are they a deeper V, thus more able to handle inshore chop?

Yes, particularly the bow entry - no other boat (except for an Egret) will cut through chop like a MA.  It is remarkable.  When it's windy mash a little trim tab and let 'er eat.  I've been in a bunch of boats and no other boat less than 20' comes even close.

• If so, does that make them a bit more tippy than an HPX?

Just the opposite - the MA is very wide and very stable.  The newer skiffs are lighter, narrower and therefore not quite as stable.  The MA is a beast.

• What is the main difference between the MA’s and early 2000’s HPX’s? Weight? Hull design?

Above

• Are there certain years to seek out or to avoid for MA’s? 

I don't think so.  There is a sticky post above about a bizarre stringer-transom connection issue.  A few folks here have had to replace tanks in their 90's MA's.  Inevitable, I suppose on a 30 year old boat.  Unfortunately, it's a big job - need cut out the deck because the tank is under the console.

• Are any years partial wood construction? (Thinking I’d be looking at early to mid 90’s to early 2000’s)

I don't think so.  But others here I'm sure will clarify

• It appears that the 18 MA’s from the 90’s appear to have 4 storage compartments in the bow. I assume #1 - anchor, #2 - fuel tank access, #3 & #4 - storage. Is this correct?

I think that's what I recall seeing too.

• Why do the MA’s from 2000-2003 timeframe only appear to have 2 bow compartments - anchor and tank access only, or some storage too? As you can see, potential storage is a question for me.

Yes, one big storage area, mine has a bin for in the bottom for trolling batteries, and a smaller storage/anchor locker.  No tank access in the bow,  just TONS of storage.  You also have a hatch under the seat, plus a port stern locker for even more storage.

• Since I seem to be zoning in on MA’s from the 90’s, are there known structural issues from this era to look out for? Seen some threads about stringer issues.

As stated above and in the other posts, I think it's rare.

Good luck with your decision and shopping.  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Bud

• Like 4

Bud nailed it.  A few things to add:

The MBG folks told me at one point that these were woodless after 85.   The original hull was made by Berg boats, but when Maverick bought it, it went woodless.  My 87 had no wood.   

As for the stringers, I am the lucky guy with the sticky and strange stringer issue.   A couple things about that:

1) in the end my issue was directly caused by an impact we didnt discover until very late in the project BUT

2) the pre 2003 models have an odd design where the stringers fo not tie to the transom.   This makes them somewhat more susceptible to impact related stringer separation.   Look at my pics, and then inspect hulls you are looking at for similar issues.  Bring bleach and a rag, the issue will be obvious if it is there.   

3)  I have heard of 3 MAs pre 2003 that have had this issue.   So it is rare but definitely something to watch.  Keep in mind, because of my thread, I am more likely to hear about these because folks with the issue reach out.    

4)  In the end, the fix isnt necessarily a major deal.  Had I known what I know now, it could have been fixed for <3k.  I had a guy with the exact same issue (also a 2000 MA) who had a guy who simply retabbed the stringer from inside.   I went overboard because I was the only one at the time who had had this issue and didnt know what I wss dealing with or how extensive it was.    

As for the MA, it is an ideal platform for what you describe.   I regularly take mine out in some nasty conditions and as Budman said, deploy trim tabs and watch her eat.    I put 50-90 miles on her some weekends and never worry.    

I ended up practically buying my boat twice with the repair, and I would do it again if I had to.   It really is that good a hull.    I DO pole mine around quite a bit, and I have poled a hells bay.  The MA takes more work, but I was surprised how little the difference was.    She definitely drafts more, though.

Oh, regarding the tank, some models had aluminum tanks up front, some have poly tanks under the cockpit, skme have aluminum under the cockpit.   By all accounts I have seen, poly is good, aluminum has a shorter lifespan.   My 87 had aluminum up front and the tank was small -20 gallons I think.  My 2000 has a poly tank and it holds 40 or more.   with a thirsty 2 stroke, I found that the 20 gallons left me nervous on longer trips.    I have drained my 40 gallon on a long trip recently, but we covered a huge amount of water.

• Like 1

HoneyB, triplec, Bud_man & whichaway is up,

Thanks so much for the detailed info and perspective. This is information I just can't get reading thru old threads or looking at for sale ads. Really appreciate it. I do have a few other questions as I continue to research.

1. I'm seeing in some images that some hulls have recessed trim tabs hidden behind access panels while others do not. Does anyone have an idea when this change was made and any opinions or preference of one design over the other? (For maintenance or performance?) Seems like a pretty notable hull / transom change. Maybe in the early 2000's about the same time the cap and apparent stringer/transom configuration changed? Curious if the MA 18 actually officially went to a MA 18.5 at this time. 
  2. It sounds like the deck is self bailing and not into the bilge. Is this correct and common on flats boats? Did not expect this.
  3. Lastly, anyone out there within a few hour drive of Savannah that wouldn't mind me stopping by to look at their's in person? (At their convenience of course) Not wanting a sea trial or anything, just want to see what one looks like up close and to get an idea what to look out for.

Thanks again all, really appreciate the support here.

Everything said above is spot on.....I can't add anymore, other than I've been on this forum for over 16 years.

I've owned MHP products since 2003.  

I've owned a 18RF

22 Pathy

17 Tunnel Pathfinder

Now, my MA17 

I've fished the HPX's, new models and older models.

My Bottom Line -

Either the 18.5 or MA 17 will be a good choice.....my MA17 is truly the last boat I'll own, since for me, it does everything I want it to do.  

Cuts the chop, large fishing platform, and has lots of room for storage.  It will fish three with experienced anglers.

I'd recommend you DON"T take of the platform, it's a nice to have when someone is fishing the stern and boat is moving.

I have rewired (not 100%) my 1995 MA 17.  I have an original 1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke, that I put about $2K into by rebuilding carbs, filters, new impeller, new prop, etc.

I get about 3.5 mpg at cruise  which I run 90% of the time - 28-30 mph.  I run two power poles, a SIMRAD and an Ulterrra all which I installed myself.  I changed out the batteries as well for the TM and House.  I bought the skiff for $11K, I had the PP's, and added a grab bar across the console, new seats with backrest...I have customized it to my fishing style.

I'd say I got $9-10K into the entire package (new axel and tires, wiring of trailer etc.)....so, I'm in for $20K.   I don't see anything better that I could fish for that $$$$.  A new HPX or Hells Bay will run you $65K-$70...out the door but, not fully rigged.

Whatever you buy, 18.5 or 17 MA, you will have to put some $$$ into the skiff or trailer...don't be afraid of some DIY stuff.....I expect to cut out my floor in the next few years to replace the fuel tank, then I know I"m done....unless of course my 2 stroke blows....even then, I would probably just have it rebuilt vs $10K for a new engine....but, we'll make that decision when it's time.......so, figure some repair  into your decision.  The MA series has almost a cult following and after I bought mine, I'm drinking the Kool-Ade every trip......

Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like further information.....  Dino.Cardelli@gmail.com

DC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CRD Dawg said:
  1. I'm seeing in some images that some hulls have recessed trim tabs hidden behind access panels while others do not. Does anyone have an idea when this change was made and any opinions or preference of one design over the other? (For maintenance or performance?) Seems like a pretty notable hull / transom change. Maybe in the early 2000's about the same time the cap and apparent stringer/transom configuration changed? Curious if the MA 18 actually officially went to a MA 18.5 at this time. 
  2. It sounds like the deck is self bailing and not into the bilge. Is this correct and common on flats boats? Did not expect this.
  3. Lastly, anyone out there within a few hour drive of Savannah that wouldn't mind me stopping by to look at their's in person? (At their convenience of course) Not wanting a sea trial or anything, just want to see what one looks like up close and to get an idea what to look out for.

Glad to help!

1.  Yes, I believe the recessed tabs were very late 90's or 2000.  This was appealing to me because we do lots of water activities (snorkeling, diving, skiing) in addition to one less thing to have a fishing line hit.  Although I had transom tabs on my Hewes and it was never an issue.  If you decide on a Mav with tab covers, remove them and check things out - the top bolts on mine were loose and the sealant was shot.  Also, be sure your trailer bunks do not overlap with the tabs or you will forget and bend them up.

2. Yes - the deck bails outside, not into the bilge.  However, I usually keep drain plugs in mine when I'm fishing because two people standing on the same side drops the scupper below the water line and water comes in.  But it's easy to drain with the boat in gear (ex rinsing boat with a bucket of water to wash off fish blood) and I take the plugs out when overnighting in a marina so that the unexpected rain water drains out.

3. I'm a long way from Savannah, but look me up if you're ever passing through Jupiter, FL.  I'd love an excuse to go out on the water!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Bud

Jason P - that is hilarious!  It seems so strange they stopped making this boat.  But talking with the MBC guys on our tour of the factory (highly recommended - super cool to see) the market split between super light/shallow "Technical Skiffs" and bigger "Bay Boats".  The MA was right in between and didn't turn the sales numbers.  So glad I was able to snag one.  But I can't help but wonder where the molds are....

Yes it’s unfortunate but true, I myself have owned a couple HPXs and for years made fun of Bay Barges on this very forum before finding myself part of the bay boat owner demographic. Im still getting over the loss of my beloved 18HPX but at the end of the day we needed something with a little more freeboard and more importantly shade for the new little guy in the family.

As far as Master Anglers go my best experience was running a MA21 with a 250 ProXS from Flamingo to Stock Island for a friend of mine... 1-2’ chop straight on the nose and probably averaged 50mph for 60-ish miles across the bay. Total beast. 

• Like 2

There is a draw back to the Master Anglers. When I say draw back I guess that is a relative term. If you have never owned a sit to drive boat you should think about it long and hard. I owned a sit to operate only boat for about three years. The longer I had it the more I wanted to have a stand up console. I did all the things you mentioned from fishing to pulling tubes with the sit down boat, and it did them all well. But standing up or at least leaning seemed more comfortable to me in the sounds and going around the front side of the islands. 
 With that said I would look at some 19 to 20 foot pathfinders before you buy anything. Not trying to talk you out of a great boat. Just food for thought. 
yes I did sell a sit down boat to buy a pathfinder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoneyB said:

If you have never owned a sit to drive boat you should think about it long and hard. I owned a sit to operate only boat for about three years. The longer I had it the more I wanted to have a stand up console.

I had Ralph the world famous Welder in FLL build me a aluminum box to mount on top of the rear storage compartment...it's about 12" high and I mounted my Fishon seat to it.....gives me a great view and my knees are partially bent...let me see if I can dig an older video.....here is the MA17 in a nice chop....if you look closely  you can see that I'm higher than the console...

dc

Something else you can do for ergonomics... I replaced the helm on the 21 I spoke of earlier and my friend wanted a more upright driving position if possible (he’s “experienced” like Capt. Don & Dino) I mounted a Seastar wedge spacer upside-down, to bring the wheel up, made a pretty significant difference. 

• Like 1

I think it's the best boat Maverick ever made.  I had a 17' that I loved, just found after several years that it was not the right boat for the kind of fishing I had learned to love.  My trim tabs were not recessed--ask me how I remember that (see the bad scar on my left shin!).  If you can find an 18.5 or 21, I would buy one rather than the 17'--just more room and ability to put a bigger motor on the back.  There have been a few on the Forum for sale recently.  Keep looking and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you find the right one.  If you wait, you'll miss out.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HoneyB said:

The longer I had it the more I wanted to have a stand up console.

I think the trend in skiff consoles today is taller up front, to accomodate in-dash gps chart plotters, with the helm and throttle low in back and on a steep slant.  IMO, it makes it harder to walk through behind the console with the steering wheel and throttle sticking out in the isle, and also not as easy to drive standing up.  This is a totally different boat than a Master Angler, but  a good example of a console that can be used either sitting down or standing up.  A tilt steering helm would be a good option as well.

Apologies, I've come up with a few more questions as I research - kinda related to ones from before. I know I've had a ton. Thanks.

1. Is the storage volume the same in the 2000 and newer MA's with the new cap that only has 2 storage openings in the bow vs. the older design that has 4 storage compartment doors? I would think maybe the space is presumably the same,  just less hatches to open/close?
  2. For the 2000 and newer designed hull with the trim tabs recessed beneath the stern, is the LOA and running surface actually longer than the 99 and older? Or did Maverick just modify the hull and move the trim tabs forward beneath the boat? Wondering if there are dimensional differences between the 2 generations.

Thanks all...

I have a 2000 17 MA and I couldn't be happier!  Without reiterating everything that has been said about these boats I cannot be more emphatic with the ride and performance in a bit of slop, I fish 10K and will run outside for some distance and now I think my boat only wants to run in 1 footers to make it happy!  My opinion is that the 17 would be a great boat as well as the 18 MA... can't really go wrong.  (Buy a 17... I am biased!)

IMG_1556.JPG

• 1 year later...

I have a 2003 18.5 MA. I live in Seminole county Florida so if you ever want to go for a ride and check it out let me know.  Best boat I’ve ever had. Only reason I don’t buy a new boat is that I can’t get a new ma.  I have had it for 12 years. It is extremely versatile. We use it for bass fishing: shiner fishing/artificials and tournaments, tons of gator hunting with 4 people in the boat,  bow fishing, speck fishing, island hopping, camping, St. John’s river to mosquito lagoon, nature tours with clients, pulling tubes. Despite  being a heavy boat it gets pretty skinny.  Constantly in shallow bow fishing and bass. With jack plate and tabs gets up on plane in some nasty backwater.  Most aggressive v you can find allows it to eat waves. Very stable platform.  I’ve had as many as 8 people in the boat no problem.  I even took my family of 4 from Deland to Saint Augustine. About 140 miles one way. Across lake George to Jacksonville, past the naval air station, down the intercostal, docked at st Augustine and stayed overnight.  I have it customize with removable swamp eyes on the bow for night bow fishing and removable spider rigs for speck fishing mounted on custom backrest. Since I can’t get a new one we decided to invest in upgrades. We just finished repowering with new 175 Suzuki, 36v remote control minn Kota, 10’ blades, seadek entire boat, garmin electronics etc.  the only thing I would change would be to have dual rod lockers.  Mine only has a locker on one side.  

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the offer. Sounds like a sweet rig. I’ve learned a lot since I started this thread (thanks to all the great folks on this forum) and actually purchased a 2001 18.5 in June. Ran it thru the Summer and fall and started some refurbishments in December. Hope to re-splash it in March. It’s a great platform where I live on the GA coast and has lived up to my hopes. Can’t wait to get it back in the water. There’s not a ton of Mavericks up here so it draws attention wherever it goes.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:49 PM, Alv said:

I have a 2003 18.5 MA. I live in Seminole county Florida so if you ever want to go for a ride and check it out let me know.  Best boat I’ve ever had. Only reason I don’t buy a new boat is that I can’t get a new ma.  I have had it for 12 years. It is extremely versatile. We use it for bass fishing: shiner fishing/artificials and tournaments, tons of gator hunting with 4 people in the boat,  bow fishing, speck fishing, island hopping, camping, St. John’s river to mosquito lagoon, nature tours with clients, pulling tubes. Despite  being a heavy boat it gets pretty skinny.  Constantly in shallow bow fishing and bass. With jack plate and tabs gets up on plane in some nasty backwater.  Most aggressive v you can find allows it to eat waves. Very stable platform.  I’ve had as many as 8 people in the boat no problem.  I even took my family of 4 from Deland to Saint Augustine. About 140 miles one way. Across lake George to Jacksonville, past the naval air station, down the intercostal, docked at st Augustine and stayed overnight.  I have it customize with removable swamp eyes on the bow for night bow fishing and removable spider rigs for speck fishing mounted on custom backrest. Since I can’t get a new one we decided to invest in upgrades. We just finished repowering with new 175 Suzuki, 36v remote control minn Kota, 10’ blades, seadek entire boat, garmin electronics etc.  the only thing I would change would be to have dual rod lockers.  Mine only has a locker on one side.  

Alv, how bout some pics?  Good to see you on here.