Great morning with Quest4Reds

whichwaysup

I think everyone has seen Quest4reds posts asking about the various MBG models out there, as he contemplates his first "major" boat purchase.  Ive corresponded with him periodically over the past 4 or 5 years on various other NC fishing forums but had never met him.  I was glad to see him pop up on MBG looking for a boat.

It looks like he is leaning towards a "general purpose flats boat", so the Hewes redfisher and Maverick Master Angler were high on his list.   

Since he had been on a redfisher, I threw out an invite to experience the magic carpet ride of my MA for a quick Dawn Patrol session this a.m. and he took me up on it.   

He made the 2 hr dive down to make it happen in spite of a major cold front, 30 mph wind gusts, poor recent fishing reports, and terrible tide that were waiting for him, but if you want to test an MA, those are the ideal conditions.   

The weather did not disappoint and we got the pleasure of bouncing over whitecaps in the intercoastal and suffering through hand numbing temps, but we found the fish and compared notes on the two boat types.   I think he will go for a redfisher in the end, and I think its a great choice.  His budget allows him to get something a lot newer than any MA 18 would allow.   2008 is getting further and further away (hint hint MBG).

Regardless of his poor taste in boats ;), it was interesting to hear some of his observations about the MA vs the Redfisher (I didnt know that the MA has much wider gunnels and beam than the redfisher).  Mostly it was really cool to finally have the chance to meet a guy who I've only known virtually for 4+ years.

I know that facebook has killed a lot of forums, but over the years I have met some really great people on fishing and boating forums.  I hope MBG keeps this one going and promotes it to their new owners - and that all of us promote it to anybody we sell our boats to or see on the water in an MBG vessel.   Quest for Reds (Matt) is a great guy and Im looking forward to trying out whatever  Redfisher he ends up in -even if it is a second rate boat compared to the mighty, legendary, and increasingly rare MA!!

20200117_071900.jpg

• Like 1

Funny you mention promoting the forum.  While sitting around the dock at the Kon-Tiki Resort a few MHP boats rolled in and out.  Asked both boats if any of them were on the forum and they all said they knew nothing about it.  Looked like they were very experienced anglers/boaters but shockingly enough, they had never seen the mbgforum.  That isn't the first time I've been around someone in their MHP or C boat and they were not forum guys.  Missing out on a valuable resource for sure.  

• Like 1

What a great time and the boat ride wasn't shabby either.  Once we finally got started after the 15 minute mandatory shoe sole sterilization required to walk on the boat🤣, the waves were just starting to pick up.  We definitely got the chance to test it's chop handling ability, and it does it very well.  Huge gunnels and a monstrous front deck make this boat seem much bigger than 18', and fish even bigger than that.  Overall it's an AWESOME boat, just too bad there aren't a few more around.

Thanks so much for taking me out, you'll definitely be welcome on whatever I end up with (not sure why you declined my invitation to go offshore with my Gheenoe), even if it's not a MA.

• Like 1