Wanted to Buy - Master Angler 18

CRD Dawg

Greetings All,

After a lot of lurking and researching, I’ve decided to begin a search for a Master Angler 18. (Thanks again, by the way, to everyone that provided some perspective on the “MA 18 Questions” thread I started recently.) I have a budget of $15-20k max, and like everyone else, I’m looking for the nicest example I can find within my budget. A 2003 or newer would be ideal, but not sure if my budget will support that. I would consider a slightly older hull, but not really looking for anything much older than 2000, unless it’s a really clean rig. Not looking for any major projects (as dollars and time tend to pile up), but not expecting to find a mint garage queen either. Ideally, I’m looking for a nicely preserved runner, mechanically and structurally sound. Cosmetic requirements are secondary, but not looking for something that looks like it’s had a hard life. While 4 stroke power is nice, I’m more concerned with having reliable, well-maintained power suited to the hull. A well-maintained aluminum trailer is a must, as l live in Savannah, GA and expect that I will be traveling to find the right one within my budget. I know there are other Maverick and Hewes hulls that might also fit my needs to a degree, but please no alternatives initially, as I’ve kinda got my mind set on a MA 18 (21 is larger than I want or need). I realize my requirements are somewhat restrictive, so feel free to give any feedback on how realistic my “wants” vs budget are. Great community here. Thanks again for your consideration and feel free to "PM" me if you prefer.

13 hours ago, CRD Dawg said:

A 2003 or newer would be ideal, but not sure if my budget will support that. I would consider a slightly older hull, but not really looking for anything too much older than 2000, unless it’s a really fine rig.

Age has nothing to do with what shape they are in....mine is a 1995 and was garage kept...when I bought her from a estate sale, the inside of the hatches still smelled like fiberglass and she had not been run in 5 years.....took about $1K in repair to get her up and running another $1K for trailer axel..but, I only paid $11K for the skiff....so, take your time, but, have the 100's ready when the time comes.

dc

• Like 1

1996 Maverick Master Angler 18, 2008 Yamaha 150 four stroke(253 hours) 4 blade power tech prop, atlas jack plate, 24v trolling motor with co-pilot, 6ft power pole, 3 bank battery charger, Troll Bridge, semi custom cover, Lowrance HDS7 Gen 1,  Underwater LED.

Completely rewired, new hull paint, bottom soda blasted, barrier coated and painted in 2012.

Over sized twin axle aluminum trailer with new torsion axles, bunks and brakes in 2013. 

$17.000, asking  I live in the panhandle in Florida, if you would like to know more tex me at   garglenn1@aol.com

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Age has nothing to do with what shape they are in....mine is a 1995 and was garage kept...when I bought her from a estate sale, the inside of the hatches still smelled like fiberglass and she had not been run in 5 years.....took about $1K in repair to get her up and running another $1K for trailer axel..but, I only paid $11K for the skiff....so, take your time, but, have the 100's ready when the time comes.

dc

100% agreed. Like yours, my 96 is cleaner than most of these newer ones. It’s more about the owner than the age of the boat. Looks like you got one already popping up above, happy hunting! 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:13 PM, Glenn A Russell said:

1996 Maverick Master Angler 18, 2008 Yamaha 150 four stroke(253 hours) 4 blade power tech prop, atlas jack plate, 24v trolling motor with co-pilot, 6ft power pole, 3 bank battery charger, Troll Bridge, semi custom cover, Lowrance HDS7 Gen 1,  Underwater LED.

Completely rewired, new hull paint, bottom soda blasted, barrier coated and painted in 2012.

Over sized twin axle aluminum trailer with new torsion axles, bunks and brakes in 2013. 

$17.000, asking  I live in the panhandle in Florida, if you would like to know more tex me at   garglenn1@aol.com

Thank you for the information. I will send you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, CRD Dawg said:

Still looking for a clean, well maintained example. Have had a few leads, but timing, distance and price just haven’t been on my side. Thanks. 

Not mine, and may be out of your price range... but this one looks nice:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/jupiter-2004-maverick-master-angler-18/7071832859.html

On 2/21/2020 at 8:23 PM, geeviam said:

Not mine, and may be out of your price range... but this one looks nice:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/jupiter-2004-maverick-master-angler-18/7071832859.html

Turns out this is my old MA. The "Buckle Up" on switch panel is the only way I could tell. He's painted everything. BTW I bought this for $20,000, sold it for $22,000 and now it's for sale for the second time for over $24,000. Just goes to show that they really never depreciate if taken care of! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Turns out this is my old MA. The "Buckle Up" on switch panel is the only way I could tell. He's painted everything. BTW I bought this for $20,000, sold it for $22,000 and now it's for sale for the second time for over $24,000. Just goes to show that they really never depreciate if taken care of! 

That's not bad...most likely would go for $20-22K with a cash buyer in hand...

Very clean and well taken care of......600 hrs is nothing for a 175....

dc

• Like 1

Thanks all for the input. Appreciate it. I did have some contact with the seller, but had some questions that I just couldn't get answered to my liking. I think this would be a good one for someone to pursue that lives within a few hour drive time that could more easily put their eyes on it in person, before setting up a survey. Being a 2004 model was certainly appealing to me. The search continues.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, Nick pizzuti said:

Hey fella I have your boat. 2001 MA 18

150 hp hpdi. See boat trader florida not many in there. 21,777.00, fresh water boat last 4 years, and will fly!.

Could not find it at BoatTrader.com.  You might ought to post a link to the ad

• 4 weeks later...