Hatch gas spring upgrade

Limitout

I have a 2008 2200 Pathfinder and am contemplating adding gas springs to the port and starboard bow hatches.   Right now the hatches have the original retaining nylon strap.   Has anyone done this upgrade and if so what should I look out for...I am most concerned about how to mount the gas spring to the hatch lid.....

On 1/27/2020 at 5:39 AM, Limitout said:

I have a 2008 2200 Pathfinder and am contemplating adding gas springs to the port and starboard bow hatches.   Right now the hatches have the original retaining nylon strap.   Has anyone done this upgrade and if so what should I look out for...I am most concerned about how to mount the gas spring to the hatch lid.....

by port and starboard bow hatches do you mean the rod lockers?  I have an 08 22xlte and both the rod lockers and the large dry storage hatch have gas supports.  the anchor locker and live well do not.   I can snag some pics of the gas shock installations if you want to see that.

18 hours ago, brune90 said:

by port and starboard bow hatches do you mean the rod lockers?  I have an 08 22xlte and both the rod lockers and the large dry storage hatch have gas supports.  the anchor locker and live well do not.   I can snag some pics of the gas shock installations if you want to see that.

I also have a 08 22TE, and the three above mentioned hatches have gas shocks. When I replaced them three or four years ago, I used the original “sockets” and don’t  recall backing plates. I recall they are bolted to the lips using nylock nuts.

i can post/send pics next week if you still need, let me know.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

I've never done this, but you might have to reinforce the underside of the hatch lid with some material to make it thicker, so you can screw the gas shock hardware to the hatch lid. Maybe someone else has done this and will post up.

YES TO THIS.. I didn't add any material and the gas shocks tore screws right out, the bracket was already there and I was replacing the OEM ones. I was told to through bolt them the brackets..Nope won't do that so, >> I sold the boat<<

On 2/4/2020 at 5:19 AM, Limitout said:

Yep, I meant rod lockers although I don't use them for that.  None of my hatches have gas springs except the large bow dry storage hatch which has one.  A pic would certainly be a huge help to see what the factory install looks like....thanks so much

575244FB-78FB-48A9-BE83-19EDCBAC7178.jpeg

50F09811-6F16-4005-904B-7A3521D8A36D.jpeg