Towing with manual transmission

quest4reds

Anybody towing with a manual transmission?  Thoughts?

Looking at a back-up vehicle to my primary truck, which is a 1978 that I've been restoring.  It tows great, but there is still a lot of work to do on it.  So when I'm working on my old truck, I want another vehicle to tow my boat.  Found one that will work that's manual, and its roughly $3,000 less than similar vehicles with automatic transmissions.  So looking for thoughts on using stick shift to pull the boat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

I towed with a manual for years.  It was 4wd Nissan pickup, 4 cylinder.  I put it in low range, started to get ready to go up letting the clutch out and when I felt some movement up the ramp, I let the parking brake off and up you go.  

X2

Mine was an S10 Blazer back in the mid/late 80's. No problems. Driving a manual is becoming a lost art. Go for it.

(and be careful letting off the parking break or you may get a face full of mud, sand or gravel. Ask me how I know.)

15 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

I towed with a manual for years.  It was 4wd Nissan pickup, 4 cylinder.  I put it in low range, started to get ready to go up letting the clutch out and when I felt some movement up the ramp, I let the parking brake off and up you go.  

So no problem towing with a 4 cyl?  I've been looking for 6 cyl thinking the 4 cyl would struggle a bit, 159 hp 180 lb-ft torque for 4cyl vs 278 hp and 265 lb-ft. with 6 cyl, and the fuel economy is actually a little better with the 6 but negligible!  Also, I don't plan to use it as my primary tow vehicle.  Any other thoughts on using a 4 cyl?

Looked into adding trailer brakes, but my trailer doesn't have the bracket to add them.  Braking shouldn't be a problem normally as I drive very gently and leave plenty of following distance when towing, only issue may come if an emergency braking situation comes up, deer, car pulls in front, etc.  Thanks for all the input everyone. 

So I've continued to peruse the interwebs and multiple car buying sites, also went to a couple dealers today to see what they had.  Found more of what I was finding online as far as options and pricing goes.  And then there is this one that has a 6-speed manual that appears to be at a small dealership and priced well below the average price of similarly equipped vehicles with automatic transmissions.  Going to look at it tomorrow morning, they were closed today.

Well I picked up my back-up tow vehicle today for about $4,000 under market value.  It had been reduced in price multiple times, lots of people looked at it but turned away when they saw it was manual, lucky me.  Brought home a nice little Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with trailer tow package, a V6, and 6-speed manual transmission that's rated to tow 6,800 lbs.  Shouldn't have any problem towing my Redfisher 18 when my 6.6L '78 F-150 is not available.  Definitely changing my 42 year old sand-blasted windshield and the steering gear box before trying to tow with it again.

Thanks for all the input gents.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoneyB said:

That’s a heck of a second vehicle. Very nice. 

I have to be honest, I do really like it but I am still partial to my old Ford.  It's no show car, but he fires to life as soon as the key is turned, sounds amazing, purrs without a tick or knock, no dieseling on shut down and ain't hiding anything.

engine comp snip.PNG

driver side snip.PNG

• Like 2

All that old ford had is a heater a auto transmission , power brakes , a aluminum intake under that 14 inch air cleaner . After riding around a whole summer that new smooth driving Toyota with AC you may start thinking it’s time to hang a sign on the old ford . Good luck with your new back up truck it looks good pulling that boat.   Joe R 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dabear said:

All that all ford had is a heater a auto transmission , power brakes , a aluminum intake under that 14 inch air cleaner . After riding around a whole summer that new smooth driving Toyota with AC you may start thinking it’s time to hang a sign on the old ford . Good luck with your new back up truck it looks good pulling that boat.   Joe R 

The Ford used to have AC and cruise control but I deleted both to clean up the engine compartment and make things simpler.  I can always add AC later, but having those vent windows open provides a very nice breeze.  As for hanging a sign on the Ford, unless you meant "Free Candy", it ain't happening. LOL

14 hours ago, HoneyB said:

When your ready to sell the YODA please hit me up. My Son turned 13 yesterday so you have three years to get the ford up to pristine condition!!!

I'm getting up in years.  I can hardly remember what I had for supper last night, but if some how, some way, I remember this conversation IF and when I decide to part with the little truck years from now, I'll let you know.  LOL