Fly fishing from your bay boat?

kapt

I use to fly fish a lot, but not anymore. The answer to your question is yes, everything gets in the way, but you learn to deal with it. Back in the day, two of us use to fly fish out of a 16 ft. john boat and after snagging your fishing buddy's ear a couple times, you learn quickly about which way to back-cast. That's what your trolling motor is for. Position the boat so you can fling that fly line in both directions.

I do a lot of fly fishing from my boat and I don’t have a t-top because of it and because I don’t like the way they look an my hull. I also fish a bit out of another boat with a t-top and like SCFD said, position yourself with the tm. We sight fish redfish more than anything and sometimes you get more chances at them than you should. I find the trolling motor and cables tend to hang onto your line more than anything else. 

The big debate in my house(buying a boat), is with tower or t top or...none of the above.  Wife wants the shade, and it gets dang hot here in Florida mid summer, so I get her point hangs up hook and fly line is my position........maybe she just needs her own boat! haha

I and my clients fly fish from my Pathfinder 2400TRS regularly. It's not the same as poling the flats in my Hewes, but still appropriate. Rarely do I hit the water without at least one fly rod under the gunwale and ready. Tee Tops are for weenies. No Tee Top for me!  Truthfully, they take up a lot of space and offer little or no reward in my book. Every time I fish a boat with one I end up bumping my head...  but that's just me.  So YES, take fly tackle along. 

13 hours ago, kapt said:

The big debate in my house(buying a boat), is with tower or t top or...none of the above.  Wife wants the shade, and it gets dang hot here in Florida mid summer, so I get her point hangs up hook and fly line is my position........maybe she just needs her own boat! haha

Bay boat with a Bimini. Had bay boats with and without T. The T provides limited shade compared to Bimini and of course Bimini is removable. A quality one is a must though and many on here have some excellent custom design ideas. I even have a Bimini for my Maverick for grandkid days. Cant beat the versatility.

My wife and I have never argued, but every summer it starts up and it's always about adding a t-top. My stance on it is pretty firm since she's only the boat from the ramp to the sandbar, and then we have an E-Z up the rest of the day. I don't want a top for the less than 2% of the time she is on the boat because it will annoy me 100% of the time I'm on the boat. 

• Like 1