Completely plugging livewells - 18 MA

whichwaysup

Hey all

Question for you all.  I almost never use my livewells and dont see that changing.   I want to keep them ready but Really dont want the extra weight of water in them when at rest.   I have turned off the seacocks, but they still fill up when I sit.  I assume they are filling in from the drains.  Am I missing something obvious here, or do I need to install seacocks on the drainage side of the equation to keep this from happening?

1 hour ago, imsnookyrd said:

I think you are overlooking the obvious, I just put a plug in my livewell drain and no water comes in.

8 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Sometimes a really tall standpipe will do the trick. If you plan to use the space for storage, just plug the hole with a low profile plug. 

I have both and tried both, but still ended up with water somehow . . . and then, of course, it doesnt drain out.  As I think about it, I must have water coming in through the seachest pipes, then, or the water pressure from the outflow is so strong it is overwhelming the plug and pipe.   Sounds like I have an excuse to take the boat out and play around a bit to figure it out.   

• Like 1

my RF16 live well has an overflow at the top of the livewell, a drain at the bottom, and the pump inlet.  My pump inlet has a separate valve on it that I can close off inside the tank.  My overflow will allow water to flow into the tank when I decelerate and come off plane.  I had to plug that too and bought these to accomplish that:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L9FS9G/ref=twister_B07ST94KGH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1