OT- 4wd SUVS

brwilson11

I have been happily driving and pulling with my 2011 2wd Sequoia for the past year. It replaced my third of the 4-Runners I have owned going back about the last 15 years. However, I have lately been spending more time hunting and exploring and need to upgrade to a 4WD. In looking online there are not too many 4wd full sized SUVS out there, mostly pickups. However, my everyday lifestyle requires the SUV body style. Has anyone had a 4wd Sequoia, Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition or the like? I am hesitant to leave Toyota for the same reason I would not leave Yamaha, but there are very few used 4wd Sequoias out there. Any happy stories would be most appreciated.

My parents have had a 4wd sequoia for years. It currently has 180K miles and is still running strong. In fact today they are leaving to drive it across the country to visit family for the holidays. I have tried to tell them to replace it with an X5 or X6 since they don't tow much anymore with it but it just keeps on running and running and running....

Have had good experience with Expedition ELs, just not 4WD. We are on the second one and have been pleased. The third row lays completely flat so you have a ton of cargo room. There is actually more room back there than the bed of my F150. I'm not sure about offroading and if you would want the long wheelbase or not. It would probably be tough to find a 4WD EL. But with kids, I don't know how we would do something smaller. It tows my Pathy fine as well.

Here is what I got that may or may not be relevant.

VW Toureg or Audi Q7 are Quattro (AWD, not 4WD. People who have them like them but the eat brake pads (maybe 8K per brake job and they are not cheap).

I am looking myself but want a SUV Diesel and you are right, they are few and far between (Jeep Grand Cherokee so far and they get mixed reviews, VW Toureg, Audi Q5 or Q7)

Dodge Durango's are getting good reviews and are AWD or 4WD I can't quite figure it out by the interweb.

Lastly, I don't like the look of them, yet, but a Ford Flex limited. When you stop laughing look at the specs. It comes in AWD and has the 3.5 twin turbo that is offered in the F-150 truck. I'm thinking the ultimate sleeper car for an old man like me!! LOL

Toyota Land Cruiser, new if you want to spend that much, or used and don't look back. I just drove a 1995 Land Cruiser from here (Homestead FL) to Atlanta two days ago for a friend. Truck had 335K-ish miles and was like a vault, got 16/17 mpg. The only bad part was getting in my ten-year newer GM product (2500 Duramax) with half the miles and listening to all the rattles, squeaks, noises and 50% of the interior lights inoperative.

Hasn't been mentioned probly cause they don't make em anymore.

But I have a Jeep Commander.

Has 3rd row seat, nav and rear dvd. Keep the kids happy, has never let me down and has a Jeep 4x4 system. Harder to find in great condition and low miles but they are getting relative cheap. I don't have plans to ever get rid of mine. I was blessed with the Lifetime Power Train Warrenty dodge/jeep offered a few years back.

love my 04 expo 4x4 that we've had since new w 78k miles. all routine stuff, only needed to replace a $30 rear a/c switch in the back handler which was making a clicking sound (common issue). the 14+ expos have the 3.5 ecoboost and can tow up around 9.2k. i wouldn't hesitate to grab a new one!

Archived