Prop for 23hps

rip-a-lip

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the boat out yesterday and decided to get some data while fishing. Full fuel, one person, two Minnkota talons with brackets, trolling motor, four batteries mounted behind leaning post, all fishing gear/tackle, ice, cast net, tool box, etc. Jack plate at about 1" (not much change from all the way down to 2-3). Prop used is the four blade listed in the Yamaha performance bulletin.

64 mph @ 5700 rpm going with the wind.

62 mph @ 5600 rpm going against the wind. Wind was light-maybe 5 mph and I was running in a protected river, but it did make a difference.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys... i've been looking around. Trying to find a Bravo to test on my boat.

Quick question, ChrisB is running a  BBlades OB/F 14.75 dia 24 p which is very similar to the Bravo if i'm not mistaken.

But when I look at all of the Merc Info sheets the Bravo is a 15 1/4" prop where as ChrisB's prop is a 14 3/4" prop.

Obviously that is going to make a difference. I guess my confusion is if i I should be looking for a 22, 23, or 24 pitch prop?

I'm currently running the HS4 Yamaha 23 pitch, but I like the fact the Bravo appears to be slightly faster and with shortened barrel may give a little more bow lift (which would make it faster with the stepped hull). 

Any updates or added info?

Thanks,

Josh B.

I am currently running a bblades 24 pitch and the best that I have had it is 64mph at 5700, but that was a one time occurrence, but can pretty consistently hit 62mph. That is with full tank of gass, one person, 4 batteries in console along with trolling motor and the high back leaning post seating. Loses speed for me with anything over 5700.

I just added a ttop, so I may have to try a 23 pitch.

deepsouthtech - let me know if you want to unload that BB 24.

shark bait - Jack plate somewhere between 1-2" and trim until you start to lose speed. You should be able to get that prop to at least 5800 RPM's, but you didn't list what brand prop it is and they are all a little different.

Josh B.

ChrisB, sick boat.... I like the color scheme and how you removed the red SHO decal on the motor. I have a simlar scheme in production and thinking of removing the SHO sticker as well or replacing it with something that will accent the whisper grey deck. 

Congrats on the boat.

• 6 months later...

Like to share some REV 4 information with the group. 2013 23 HPS with 250 SHO. Prior to modifications by Rich Junker at Leading Edge. Engine ran 54/5500 WOT jacked and trimmed getting 63/64 mph. At 5000 I was running 60mph. Cruise 4000 at 48 mph. Hole shot was just ok. After reading several REV4 discussions, I was curious why my 23 pitch was not reaching 5800/5900 rpms. Purchased a new Powertech OFX 21P 4 blade. 5800 rpm 61 mph. Still liked the overall characteristics of the REV4 and called Rich for his input. He was going to bring it down to a 22p and a back cut to get another 300 rpm's out of it. The only thing I had done to the prop was polish and shaved before he touched it. He called me back telling me the REV4 was a 24p stamped as a 23, reason for the low rpm's and ok hole shot. He brought it bacK to a true 23p and back cut. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. Running back from fishing trip, by myself, 1/4 to 1/2 tank, wind at my back, 1 foot chop no current assist, 36v trolling motor, cast net, ice, fishing gear, tool bag. Jack plate at 4 1/2 and trim with tail just over the cowling. Results 5900 rpm's 67.4 mph GPS. Again, 250 SHO.... I could have probably touched 68 but hands were glued to the wheel. 

20170121_124410.jpg

Nice!! I'm in the market for a new wheel. The BBlades threw a tip awhile back, running a stock ofx4 21 right now.

Running the prop semi surfaced in chop was flexing the tips and caused the failure. Post up a pic of the REV 4 if you have one.

Never seen one back cut, did he shorten the exhaust barrel as well?

I have a comparison of my OFX4 and REV4, night and day. When I received the prop from Rich I asked him about the back cut because it looked like a came from the factory. You couldn't tell anything was cut. He takes off just enough from the trailing blade edge and barrel for a 150 rpm increase. I did not have him cut the barrel as I like the performance of the boat in the ocean and chop. Especially when I'm flying, feels like it's on rails, no bow squirly feeling. Tried a Mirage plus once and boat felt out of control at high speeds in comparison to the REV4. The OFX4 ran good but does not have the top speed performance and steering at high speeds required 2 hands to turn. Must be the aggressive cupping. 

20170108_134747.jpg

20170108_134814.jpg

Wow, that's the best numbers i've seen for a 23 HPS with 250 SHO. 67.4 is cookin' & with a 4 blade... that's impressive.

I had similar results as you with the stock 23 pitch Rev4, I just couldn't get the RPM's up at all. I think I was only getting 5200-5300. Good info.

Josh B.

I was running 5400 rpm consistently and making oil. Thats when I decided to go with the OFX4. Sent the REV4 to Rich as a last resort to keep it and it came back as a different prop, 5900 and fast, just lost a couple mph in the midrange. You may also have a prop that is bigger in pitch than stamped. Rich told me the prop was a 24p and brought it down to a true 23p which is what it's stamped at. Have Rich look at your prop.

Archived