Florida Fishing Products

Drummer

Some folks have asked, so here's my thinking on Florida Fishing Products Osprey reels. I have 4 on a test. Two 8000s, one 6000, and one 3000.  All the Osprey series, not the newer and lighter CE. Pros:  cool looking, nice handle, excellent drag performance, smooth, lots of power in the drag. Also, the clicker is integral on these sealed drag systems. That's usually the first thing that goes on my other reels. No anti-reverse release, which is fine with me. I have been most impressed with the 8000s while fishing for red snapper. Often times my clients cannot handle the power of these fish on spin tackle. With the Osprey 8000 and its reported 48 pounds of drag, I can tell you this has not been the case. We have boated numerous fish in the 12 pound and over range. The reels are spooled with 65 pound braid from the same company. The 6000 has been A/B tested against the Quantum Cabo 60, both new and old versions. Thus far I like the FFP at least as much. I have landed numerous bull redfish on this outfit with no issues. It's spooled with 40 pound PP.  The 3000, albeit a little heavier than my fleet of Stradic 3000s, is a very handy little reel. It had a workout Saturday when a 10 year old angler boated a 27 pound bull red. The reel, spooled with 15 pound PP,  was screaming and survived unscathed. All these are on St. Croix Avid or Tidemaster rods, just so you know.  I will have better info near the end of summer, when they will be one year old. So far the finish is as new on all.  There you have it. 

• Like 1

Been using them a few years inshore now to see if they could replace my ci4+ 2500's so we run the 1000'sa as they have more drag capacity than the ci4+ and not a single issue on redfish up to 30 inches. Their FFP carbon drag washers are superior to Ci4+ and not near as many line roller bearing failures as Shimano. 

I give their braid a big thumbs down though. The sent me some of that but too many failures so back to power pro super slick.

• Like 1