ENGEL BAIT COOLER

Wanaflatsfish

Just picked up on Amazon Prime for my popping cork and jig disease to keep my soldiers ready for battle....

Fished the other day with my buddy in his RF18 and Capt DonH.

I have the 30 with an additional bubbler I installed through the side by drilling a hose hole.

The cooler/baitwell held the shrimp 10 doz all day without a problem....changed the water only one time..

The key is it keeps the water temp stable...buying a smaller 13 qt to keep on the front of the boat....as normally we fish front and back..allows you to not have to be reaching in the well all day....

I picked up the tip from a guide in Choko who had one..said he uses it for his clients as it hold bait on the front of the boat and he doesn't have to be walking around with buckets and shrimp in nets....

He was correct !!!!

Much nicer than a simple bucket as you don't need to be changing out the water etc.....just close the top every stop and it's sealed ....has nice rubber grips on the base and is very stable..

Filled it about 1/3 way with water and only lost about 10% of the shrimp all day...(normal).

Kudos as well Don's bait in Homestead where he held me 10 doz as I called in an hour earlier on the way and when I arrived, I had the last 10 doz before the shrimp truck...will be buying all my goods from him in the future......

[image]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5709/23814865592_8973212121_o.jpg[/image]

During the summer when it's hot and fresh shrimp are harder to find, I use frozen water bottles to keep the water temperature down in the cooler. Not ice, water frozen in plastic bottles, you don't want to put fresh water in with the shrimp. I don't have as nice a setup as the Engle cooler system, however I can keep shrimp for normally two days rotating fresh ice bottles in the cooler.

brother has been using a 20qt. $19. from walley world for bait for years. just get a small thru hull fitting the size of the tube and install it a few inches from the top on the side or back. hang the bubbler from the handle and run tube into the thru hull and then attach air stone. his bait, 5 doz. last all day.

Any close ups of the bubbler set up? I bought one of these boxes a few years ago and as a "cooler" it's slightly better than s cardboard box and a little big for me as a dry box. I would like to put it to some sort of use...

Go on amazon.com or the engel site..lots of pics.

I just drilled a hole the size of the tube and then attached the bubbler with another small attachment for the back metal piece..

The bait bubbler has a nice through hole connection...i'll do something similar when I have some time.

DC

brother has been using a 20qt. $19. from walley world for bait for years. just get a small thru hull fitting the size of the tube and install it a few inches from the top on the side or back. hang the bubbler from the handle and run tube into the thru hull and then attach air stone. his bait, 5 doz. last all day.

I did the same thing for years..used a simple cooler with two bubblers attached....kept up to 10-15 doz without a problem.

The reason I like this one is the handle is on the top and is well sealed...like a little suitcase for the shrimp.

To each his own..yeah, you can go wally world and a bubbler for about $40-45 or go Engel cooler for $85 all in with Amazon prime..

both will get the job done...for me, the extra $40 or so is worth the investment....and the ability to carry and mobility on the boat..with a cooler you grab with both hands and with this, you just carry like a little suitcase.....mary ann or ginger...both are fine.

Final note..important...always put something for the soldiers to hold on to....an old chum bag (clean) or sponges, etc...it helps them to not expend energy when sloshing around.....

If they are free swimming in a large bait well, they tend to die.....espepecially if the wells are running...when you keep shrimp, even in your bait well, I used to keep them in chum bag with fine air pockets...the same way the shrimp delivery guy carriers them in the back of the truck...they rest in the bag with not problems...

dc

With a well tied Puglisi shrimp fly you don"t need all this hardware. :):):)

dh

I'm with Don! I have some shrimp and baitfish patterns in my fly boxes that look just as good as the day they were tied, I'm talking over a year. No dead loss or nothin', it's truly amazing how long they stay looking fresh and lively.

I must admit the original owner of my HPX had a bubbler installed in the centerline trash can of my boat but I really don't think it makes a difference in the flies I tie. I mean I've turned it on and have never seen anything come out of it. I just leave the flies in the box and they seem fine. I may do some more thorough, scientifical testing this spring and try to get to the bottom of all this cooler, live well, bait business y'all speak of. On the other hand I hate to change what's been working for me.

Archived