2200 TE Questions

chrsRedfish

I recently got out of a 24' bayboat to move into a larger offshore boat but want to pick up another boat to fish the inshore waters with. I have been looking at the 2200 models 07 an older. What are the general consensus on these boats? I just want to know what to expect out of them, any years preferred over others? Seems like a lot of them have 150s which seems a little low how do they perform with a heavier load? I have also seen some with 250s, does the boat start to squat with the extra weight of the 250? How do they handle rougher water? Any info about these boats is greatly appreciated.

I am currently using the search function so please don't just give me that response lol

My suggestion is to buy a 2002 or newer 2200V.  While the hulls are basically the same on all 2200V, the liner was significantly improved in 2002.  These are great hulls but are tender to stern weight.  That’s why MBG designed the XL version.

In my opinion, the engine choice should be in line with usage.  If you run a lot of flat water then a 200 HPDI or 250 SHO is a good choice because these engines are light and will easily give you a mid 30 mph cruise.

I fish Apalachicola Bay, so most of the time it’s too lumpy, I  can’t run faster than 30 mph, so a F150 is a great choice.

I've had 2 22T's. a 2006 w/ a 150 and currently have a 2008 w/25 0SHO.

I love the extra speed on the 250! Can cruise at 40 all day and hit 53 most days. That said,  I like the console on the 2006 better that 2008. More room on top.

Other than that boats are the same as far as I can tell. 

My 03 has a 150 vmax hpdi, t-top with stand thru tower. Max out at 43 mph and cruise 28-32. Very dry ride and good in chop. Use both inshore and off. Handles great. Let go of the wheel it tracks like it’s on a rail. Fast to plane. They claim the 2.3 block is bullet proof. Hope this helps a bit.

E8BCB582-7182-467B-95BB-1E393B23AEBF.jpeg

Tell me about the Vmax hpdi. Ive personally had bad experiences with the regular hpdi motors but know very little about the vmax version. Are they reliable? Is it the preferred option? Seems most 22's I'm looking at have 750+ hrs.

There is also one I really like with a 250 proXS with about 900 hrs, anything you can tell me about those motors?

edit:just saw what you said about it. I will start looking at boats with those motors

I have over 500 hrs on my vmax. Bought it used 7 years ago. Have not had any problems with the engine itself. Again, 2.3 fantastic. The larger block,  3.2 I think, 225 hp and up were problematic. Mine is also bottom painted. My brother had a 2002 with a full tower less controls and bottom painted, 200hp same engine vmax hpdi maxed at 52 mph. Sold it for 28,500 two years ago. Hope this info helps some more. 😀️ Fin

3 hours ago, chrsRedfish said:

Tell me about the Vmax hpdi. Ive personally had bad experiences with the regular hpdi motors but know very little about the vmax version. Are they reliable? Is it the preferred option? Seems most 22's I'm looking at have 750+ hrs.

There is also one I really like with a 250 proXS with about 900 hrs, anything you can tell me about those motors?

edit:just saw what you said about it. I will start looking at boats with those motors

There is no difference between a standard HPDI and a Vmax HPDI except shaft length.  The powerheads are exactly the same. 

2.6L HPDI's are quite reliable (150-200).  3.3L models (200 - 300) got a bad wrap especially on big offshore boats, mostly due to slow trolling (they don't like it).  Big blocks need to be run hard to clean them out.  They also had an oiling issue on the series 1 but that was fixed very early on.  All HPDI's need clean fuel, good oil and require religious servicing (all filters changed every service).   

250 Pro XS is a nice motor.  Its also direct injected so same goes for it... Clean fuel, good DFI oil and religious service. 

The 2.3 block on the hpdi is a fantastic block. The biggest must is to keep all filters clean and change when in doubt. 

Most are do it yourself.

Fuel water separator,  I like the clear bowl.

Vst filter. Med difficulty at worst.

High pressure filter after vst.  Easy once you  learn how to slide the fitting 

There are several small filters associated with high pressure pump and injectors. Often called the mystery filters, As with all fuel injected sending off the injectors evey 3 to 5 years is not a bad idea but not mandatory.

Keep lower unit oil clean. Easy cheap maintenance item often overlooked. 

They like to be run hard. After a day of easy fishing I always run back at wot a while to blow out any residue or buildup as it is a 2 stroke.

A well taken care of motor can give thousands of hrs.