R tires vs D tires; mixed on trailer

DavisIslander

I had a flat the other day and consequently needed to replace the tire.  I'm running D14's on the trailer right now, but the replacement is an R14.  Is it bad to mix the Rs and Ds on the trailer at the same time?  I usually travel less than 20 miles to launch (on average less than 1 mile).

Should I take it back and have them change it out to a D?

Thank you

R indicates a radial tire — D indicates a Bias ply tire D is for diagonal. The sidewalls will flex differently. The radial tire should run a little cooler . Also a radial tire the same size as a bias ply tire should have a larger contact area where the tire meets the pavement because of the design . It will be harder to feel the difference on a trailer than on a car or truck but they are not the same . In the long run the radial should have a couple small advantages over the bias ply tire because the sides flex and that should make the ride a little smoother and under a non perfect condition having a larger point of contact with the ground could help control  . If it was my trailer I would install a matched set of radials when I could afford it . 

On 3/4/2020 at 6:41 AM, DavisIslander said:

Should I take it back and have them change it out to a D?

Since you asked....my .02 is as Honeyb says...change out the bias tires and run new radials. It appears you have a mix of both tires as others pointed out.