Redfisher or Master Angler?

Clint Hebert

8 hours ago, Clint Hebert said:

So I’ve been been focused on purchasing a 18 RF, but now the 18 MA is of some interest.  I’m in Texas and fish bays and some lakes.  Any thoughts why one over the other?  Power recommendations either boat?  Thanks in advance for the feedback! 

I have owned a 2003 RF 18 with 115 4 stroke...and now a 1995 MA 17 with 115 two stroke (95)...

I would not trade my MA17 for any other skiff for the $$$.

I paid $11.5 and put another $3.5K into her with repairs to trailer and upgrades....Trolling motor and PP I don't count as I would have them anyways on either boat.

Ride MA17  cuts the chop like nothing....very stable....draft is 11-12", like the RF....but, I just like ride and simplicit of the hatches etc. for the make and model year.

Ride in them, walk the gunnels, and then decide.

dc

• Like 1

Really just depends on the budget, I had a 2013 hewes 18 and liked that boat (it had a 115 so was balanced better). If youre looking in the mid 2000 range id pick the master angler because I like the deck layout, but the newer hewes have a much more refined and modern finish which I prefer. 

While it could be totally a fluke, you read of a lot more master angler issues vs hewes redfisher issues. Just an observation. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Convertible13 said:

I bought a MA 21 and the next day I won Powerball, began dating a super model and can now fly. Just sayin...

What does that all mean ? Nothing to do with RF and MA,  just sayin.....

Both just great boats. Been on both. I’d go MA for layout and ride JMO 

I have a 2000 Light Tackle, the hull that became the Redfisher 18 in 2001. Great boat. My bro has a 95 Redfisher 18 and a 2002 MA17. I fish out of all these boats. In my opinion the MA has the best ride. The 95 Hewes is easiest to pole and is the stealthiest with very iittle hull slap. The 2000 LT is the biggest and best for 3 anglers, even 4. MA has a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, performs admirably, and gets 6 MPG. Both Hewes have Yamaha 2 strokes, 115 and 130, not the best mileage but power is great. I think it boils down to how you want to fish and how many anglers will accompany you. Storage is great on all. LT has insulated coolers up front which is a huge plus. Also, port aft compartment can be plumbed for a release well and is also insulated. Just find a boat that has been well maintained and take the plunge. They are all excellent vessels, all cruise comfortably in the mid 30s, all top out in the upper 40s, LT touches 50 sometimes. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Clint Hebert said:

So after much consideration, I have landed on the MA 18!!  Super excited about it and THANK YOU ALL for assisting with you knowledge and experience!  

F64E1174-937E-4409-B857-60569EEC5910.jpeg

C201685E-ECC5-4D35-BC79-F675AC8657B1.jpeg

E2E0F429-8B1A-4358-A0A8-273092C9C260.jpeg

F9BDE920-6301-4981-9DDD-681C606E028D.jpeg

Holy smokes, what a beauty!  Welcome to the MA cult!!   Can you give us some details on her? Year, comdition, etc?

• Like 1

So it’s a 2004 hull with only 33 hours, found it from a local guy here in Texas! Replaced the original 90 2stroke with the 2018 115 SHO (10 hours).  New jackplate, powerpole, trolling motor and hummingbird unit.  Not a scratch on it!  I’m still pinching myself, seems like a dream! 

• Like 1