My boat keeps stealing my hats

DavisIslander

Too many to count! My all time favorite hat is somewhere in the St. Johns River. My wife will tell you she saw a tear (maybe two) in my eyes when it went under. I looped around to grab it and missed it and my own wake sunk it before I could make another lap. If she could run the boat better, I would have gone overboard to get it. Sad day. I wish you never started this thread. 😃

I have run many boats in many areas.  I have only lost one ball cap style and it was in the coca cola colored Kissimmee River.  Thankfully I have never lost one in salt.  I either turn my hat around backwards when running hard or I wear a buff over my face and hat which keeps it on at most speeds. 

Now My wife's hat blows off nearly every trip.  I don't think she will ever learn.  Thankfully I always circle back and find it. 

My wife bought me a Coolibar big brim fishing hat. It's got a chin strap, but the problem was that the brim was floppy. I just can't stand the brim of my hat flopping in the breeze. Sat my saw-horses up, laid a piece of plywood on horses, put my hat on the plywood with some of the front brim hanging over the plywood. Got an aerosol can of clearcoat paint and put two coats on the brim (brim only). Man, that sucker is perfect now.

I don't wear a hat when the boat is moving. When I shut down the engine, I take off my PFD and put on my ball cap. When I get ready to move, I reverse the process. If you need to wear a cap at all times to prevent getting a sunburned scalp, you might try the urban method of wearing your ball cap backwards when you're underway.

We have watched a couple sink into the backwaters slowly as we turn around and full throttle towards them . On a few occasions we where like super hero’s and where able to return to the spot grab it and place that wet hat back on our heads . The last 20 years or so 90% of the time I toss the hat in the center console when I am going to air it out . Unlike when the same thing happened to a couple pairs of sun glasses (many years ago )which I have never been able to rescue we have been able to pull a hat or two out of the drink and bring them back to life . I do keep extra hats in the boat seems like when you have spares with you for back up you won’t need them .  Joe R 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 4:01 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

My wife bought me a Coolibar big brim fishing hat. It's got a chin strap, but the problem was that the brim was floppy. I just can't stand the brim of my hat flopping in the breeze.

X2. Went out and bought a Shelta. Don’t know model, but has a stiff bill in the front and a chin strap. Bought it at a Jacksonville Ace Hardware, and I’m seeing them in some outfitter shops. Think I paid $50-60, but works like a champ! 

A7C76F0E-EF6C-4B65-B51F-FF5465089916.jpeg

904BBF88-6F25-4458-A572-09965C88CD4F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I use the Tilly...yeah $$$$ but, with the strap, it works...when I want something lighter...a wide brim...

When running, it's off and inside my shirt or inside the console...

Lost way too many...but, like Joe...i have many spares, hidden in the skiff...

dc

I too stash a wide brim in my leaning post cubby, bonnie style.