Transducer Mounted on Trim Tab?

shallowsalt

3 hours ago, shallowsalt said:

Is there another mounting option?

Well, yes there is if you don't need the water temp readings.  When I bought my first Pathfinder, the 2000V, I had the transducer mounter INSIDE the hull.  I told the dealer that I hated the sight of the transducer hanging off the transom, throwing a tiny wake, subject to breakage, etc.

If done inside the hull, it needs to be along the center line where there is solid hull between the transducer and the water.  Plus, you need to have access to that location from inside the boat.  On the 2000V, the only area with access was above the pocket - no go there since the flow through the pocket was mixed water and air, not good for readings under way.  I asked George Lachapel at the dealership if there was solid glass under the leaning post.  "Yes, but we can't access the inside of the hull under the leaning post".  "Got a saw?" I asked. 

Here is what we did on this new boat...

1165594199_pics014.thumb.jpg.7b06c089402edf3d148427869295bd08.jpg

1815441452_pics015.thumb.jpg.61a12b63d6630163eaf966ab9226902d.jpg

1157430769_pics016.thumb.jpg.97f251bd5e86898dbd04f6c3b5879e09.jpg

Cut a hole, added an opening hatch and epoxied the transducer within a few inches of the center line over solid glass.  The transducer was a special model (Airmar P79 Smart ducer) that sat in a cylinder containing mineral oil - worked like a charm at any speed. Clean transom.  If I wanted water temp, I stuck my foot in the water.

RON_5025.thumb.JPG.3db0b429c1399539addc3b6f1d576bab.JPG

Good luck!

With  todays high tech units you realy need two transducers. 

The 3 in 1 can be in the pocket and allows the transom to remain clean.

The second would be a bronze thruhull with the appropriate chirp range.

The 3 in 1 in the pocket is first. When mounted properly it will read on plane.

The thruhull will have advantages and be better on plane