Backrest on Rear Deck 2200

JPizzle

My wife has asked to look into putting some sort of backrest on the rear deck of our 2200.  Looking for some examples of what you might have done.  Don't really want to mount seat bases and bean bags wont work.  My ideas were as follows:

• Something that slides into the 30 degree rod holders and goes across the width of the boat.  
  • Usning one of the birdsall mounts with the flat plates and maybe make 4' wide in the center
  • Using something in the side 30 degree rod holders that is only on each side, similar to the back rests you see on the bow seating of some boats.  

Really wanting something that is removable, and does not prevent access to the hatches (livewell or release well) 

18 hours ago, JPizzle said:

My wife has asked to look into putting some sort of backrest on the rear deck of our 2200.  Looking for some examples of what you might have done.  Don't really want to mount seat bases and bean bags wont work.  My ideas were as follows:

• Something that slides into the 30 degree rod holders and goes across the width of the boat.  
  • Usning one of the birdsall mounts with the flat plates and maybe make 4' wide in the center
  • Using something in the side 30 degree rod holders that is only on each side, similar to the back rests you see on the bow seating of some boats.  

Really wanting something that is removable, and does not prevent access to the hatches (livewell or release well) 

Like your third idea. Won’t block entry to back deck as a full backrest would. 

Ok let's take the rod holder idea a bit farther. 

On the side rails you find how far back you want the back rest . Install a 0deg. rod holder on each side. Have a back rest made for each side to fit the rod holder. To get in hatch you  lift and rotate the back rest in the rod holder. When not in use the vertical rod holders are nice to have

I think even with the existing 30degree that they are far enough back and you could rotate as needed to get in a hatch.  Might be time to get the heat gun and pvc and mock something up.  I guess the greatest concern would be too much stress like a fulcrum on the rod holder.  

On 4/20/2020 at 11:15 PM, BillAV8R1 said:

Are you talking about something like this?  This might be my next project as well. Just added front backrests to mine. 

90DC58EA-53C7-416D-9992-229A78AF1B65.jpeg

C5565AA5-321B-4422-A196-E283D54CF5E6.jpeg

CAB1ABAF-834E-4C64-8985-5536AB1371C5.jpeg

The very bottom picture is how mine is, and it extends over the hatches, the back rest too. If I were making it, I should shorten both pieces up to allow clear access to the hatches. On my boat, the center live-well is blocked off, but I don't use it anyhow. 

• 4 weeks later...