PF22TE Gunnel caulking and rod rack elastic looops

Headhunter

You can tell I am getting down on my to do lists while quarantined and I know both of these have been discussed before but I can't find either when I search so, help please.

I have had mildew in the gunnel caulking since the boat was new. Sprayed everything on it that anyone recommended with little luck. Time for it to come out and be replaced. Which product should I use either in white or grey. The admiral wants grey.

I don't really know what to call these elastic loops that stops gaffs and stuff from getting loose but they are all stretched out and don't work very well anymore.

Thanks in advance for the help and stay safe all!

GE makes a 10 year mildew resistant 100% silicone caulk. It comes in both white and grey. You can buy it at most big box stores. If you haven't worked with it before, check out some you tube videos for tricks to make the job easier. I personally recommend having a ROLL of paper towels next to you to clean off surrounding surfaces (including your fingers) which inevitably get stray caulk on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to the caulking. Thanks all for the tips and I'll walk you through what I did.

Removed all the old caulking with the plastic caulk removal tools (from amazon), goof off caulk remover from Starbrite (worked great softening the last little pieces of caulk) and the putty knife. I tried using the grout/caulk scraper with little luck.

Taped off the gunnels with painters tape, rolled it with a wallpaper roller and tried to use as little caulk as possible in the joints because we actually like the look with no caulk. The profile looked just like the hatches and everything blended.

Based on comments above I went with Silicone caulk. A whole new world Much tougher stuff to work with compared to latex caulk. Screwed up one side because it set up really fast and I couldn't smooth it out. Then I watch some you tube and learned denatured alcohol cuts it and cleans it up. As you can see the results using the yellow tool in the pictures fore front of the picture dipped into the denatured alcohol did the trick. I also used a rag dipped in alcohol in a couple of wider spots.

Glad I did it and I don't think I will have a mold issue again.

gunnel taped.jpg

caulk tools.jpg

gunnel caulked.jpg

• Like 1