Upgrade trolling Motor, Will Need New Charger

JPizzle

I currently have a 24v tiller trolling motor that I am looking at needing to probably replace this year.  If I do, I am looking at the Motor Guide Xi5 as it will connect to my Lowrance Elite 12 Ti (the saving routes on GPS seems like a great function as I can premap a lot of mangrove shorelines in the 10K).  I have read the various threads on 24v vs 36v and am on the fence.    I currently have x2 group 31 Duracell AGM batteries which are probably 5-6 years old.  They have been holding the charge fine, but I know there time is coming.  For my style of past fishing, the 24v 74lb thrust which it had on there has been sufficient.  What I don't know is how my use of spot lock would effect my battery life and thrust requirements (ie: keys tarpon bridge fishing and on the reefs not needing an anchor)

My question is, if I do upgrade to the 36v system, what is the recommendation on brand of charger.  I don't mind keeping my house battery on a separate small optima charger I currently use so I could go either 3 bank or 4 bank.  I know stealth gets a lot of comments, but i would rarely need to use the boat two days in a row with out the option to plug into shore power overnight.  Will go back with AGM of some sort, and probably Duracell as I have don't want the maintenance and have had good luck.  

Boat is a 2200v with a 200Vmax and T-Top if that makes a difference. 

I have a 2200 TRS. I have a 36 volt MG XI5.  For shoreline and other bank style fishing a 24 volt would be fine. I rarely run my 36 volt past half speed while fishing all day in White Water Bay or even the beaches. Now using Anchor Lock is another story. When we Tarpon fish channel 5 or Bahi Honda it runs pretty hard keeping us in the current. Not completely sure a 24 volt would be up to that task on a 22 foot boat. Maybe someone else could chime in on a 24 volt. I use three deka intimidator agm group 24's. My house is a Optimax group 27. One of the Dekas is my backup house. I have a Stealth 1 AC/DC. The awesome part of the Stealth is the dc piece. It uses the outboard to top off ALL my batteries when I run spot to spot during the day. I can use smaller, lighter batteries for the 36 volt bank and never have had a low power problem. When I was setting up my sled the opinion I got repeatedly was go as big as you can afford. Better to much than to little. They were on target. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

AS JH mentioned the Stealth is not necessarily for a charge option with no shore power rather a system to keep your batteries topped off continually. You will find that any GPS controlled troller will use considerable more battery than a tiller and if your fishing all day in hard current likely will discharge your troller batts. There are others that complete with Stealth but I can't speak to them as I only have run the Stealth for years. Folks have lots of opine of what works for them for charging batts and motors. I have run MG and MK trollers and moved to Rhodan last year. Won't be going away from Rhodan anytime soon as it has already outperformed any troller I had. Maybe because so many are freshwater motors that have been adapted for salt and Rhodan was built for salt. OR maybe I just was unlucky on motors and customer service. I know they are all backordered and they also have Simrad aka Lowrance integration but think they are hard to come by too or were. Those Duracell AGMS are made by Deka and in my opinion the best. I average 6-7 years out of them in group 31. 

Whatever you go with you will likely really enjoy it over the tiller for sure! 

Do you currently have an OB charger now?  If so, there should be no reason to change it unless you are going from 24V to 36V and need the third set of leads.  When I was shopping for mine I heard a lot of good reviews for the NoCo.  I ended up going with a unit named Powermania, had a lot of good reviews and price was right.  I never looked into the Stealth, but with what jh141's comments I may be looking at that when I make the new boast purchase. 

I have a 2200XL with 36 v 112 lb Minn Kota.... and I previously had a 24 v 80 lb.... all I can say is that here in South Georgia we have a minimum of 6 ft tide swing and that moves a lot of water...and it’s also moving around 4 to 6 kts once it’s gets rolling. . with the 24v ..if I was beachfront fishing for Tarpon or Tripletail on anchor lock....The 24v would struggle after a few hours....the current flow has a lot to do with the volt motor you choose.  In the creeks trout and bass fishing , the 24 v would go all day.... out front on ocean front...it’s a different story....Both are excellent motors...I guess it all depends on how much current you fish in. I’m using Dekka agm 27’s.

I agree with all points.  I do currently have a 2 bank onboard charger for the trolling batteries. I keep the starting battery topped off with a separate optima charger.  

If I stick with the 24v, I really only need to buy the trolling motor now and then replace batteries when needed.  If I go the 36v, I need to buy the trolling motor, get a different charger, and probably go ahead an buy 3 new batteries so they are all the same age and not ruining a new one with 2 older ones, along with reconfigure the battery tray box for a 4th battery.  Its a pretty significant price and work difference.  

For my typical fishing, I am sure the 24v is plenty as it would be the same or a little better than what I have currently.  For the new use of spotlock, which would probably be used in more power consuming conditions I would have  typically used an anchor, I can see the advantage of the 36v.

I have been on Stealth's website, but didn't see a buy function.  Assuming I would want the Max Pack.  I also looked at the Noco Gen4, Powermania 4 bank.  Just trying to get all my required items and expenses together to make a decision.  I understand the concept of the stealth charger, but in all honesty, my runs with the big motor aren't very long unless we are heading way south.  And I usually have the music going so I am sure the alternator is more keeping up with that versus topping off the trolling batteries.  

3 hours ago, JPizzle said:

do currently have a 2 bank onboard charger for the trolling batteries. I keep the starting battery topped off with a separate optima charger.  

i agree with your assessment...although I have a 3 bank, usually the night before I put on a seperate trickle charger on the house to be sure it's 100%

I do have the Powermania 3 bank....works well.

DC