Replacement hooks for lures??

Shallowminded6

Im sure everyone has noticed the hooks dont seem to stay true like they used to. Any brand that you use for replaement hooks? Do you replace with single circle hooks? Seems every solid fish I catch/hook bends a hook to some degree, always worries me bending it back as I know when steel gets bent and worked it weakens. Just curious if you guys have a brand you use for replacement or a trick of the trade etc. 

Yes, I typically replace the treble hooks with single hooks and often replace the split rings.  Look for inline hooks made of high carbon steel, with a wide gap and needle sharp hook point.  Use 1/0 size for smaller baits 17MRs and 2/0 size for larger baits like 27MR.  Front hook opens to the front, back hook opens to the rear.  

15 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Yes, I typically replace the treble hooks with single hooks and often replace the split rings.  Look for inline hooks made of high carbon steel, with a wide gap and needle sharp hook point.  Use 1/0 size for smaller baits 17MRs and 2/0 size for larger baits like 27MR.  Front hook opens to the front, back hook opens to the rear.  

You notice any change in your hook up percentage with single hooks? Having 66% less things to go in my hand always sounds good. 

• Like 1

"Damaging to fish"

I am very sorry, I must disagree, just my opinion and I respect yours.

I fish almost every weekend and every day during the week I can get off. I have released hundreds on snook, reds and even jacks and lady fish. I have no problem with treble hooks hurting the fish or me. I have lost countless fish, mostly snook and reds when I attempted to use the single hooks on plugs. They just do not work very well in the back country.

I agree there is less of a chance of hurting anything with single hooks, but we were just seeing our hook up rate go south.

This Tarpon inhaled an x rap with #4 trebles. I carefully removed the plug and took the appropriate time to revive it and off she swam, not hurt but smarter.....

Notice the glove.  

May Beach Tarpon.JPG

• Thanks 1