Fun Tackle Question?

Headhunter

Introduced the admiral to dock fishing last week. She tossed a live shrimp under a dock and caught a 23 inch red, then a flounder. She was on fire. Day two she caught a chase lounge, chair and a tree. Not happy. She is really have trouble skipping with the outfit I gave her. She is not strong enough to flex the medium action 7ft rod. My buddy suggested something 6-61/2 ft but if I go to light she will not get the fish from under the dock.

Any suggestions on what might work for her? Typically she throws a 7 1/2 ft St Croix fast action medium flex with a stratic 3000.

• Like 1

don't mess with mother nature. there's no way you can come out of this unscathed. i tried for 20 yrs to get my wife to flex a rod and cast like it's designed to do with no results except to get the silent treatment and what i call the little mouth look. you know the one, where she looks at you and her eyes are a little squinted and her mouth is about 1" wide. just be glad you have a wife that enjoys going fishing with you.

• Like 1

I always say......If your not hangin a root or in this case hitting a chase lounge or a tree your not throwing it where they live.........just part of it.  I did put my nephew on a shorter rod, 6' 5"  and it gave him better control. After a couple weeks he was right on target "most of the time"

Like Smooth Move, I have tried to help my wife cast further and more accurately.  Unfortunately, she’s not consistent.  Some days she can fire it like a pro and other days not so well.  I stopped giving her pointers because all I would get is the “little squint”.

I just accept that some days she casts better than others.  I do suggest that you give your wife a little shorter rod and maybe a slightly heavier jig or sinker to help her cast.

Whats nice about fishing, is that women can stand toe to toe with men.  With the exception of very large fish.  And if I’m not careful my wife will outfish me.

8wt with straight 30lb leader, white hi tie.

in general shorter today is more accurate longer rod os more distance.

another thought, if practical, is have her throw a heavier bait or even a shrimp on a weighted float. This way she can “swing” or lob it to the dock instead of trying to wind up and power cast a lighter freelined bait.

Headhunter,

Here is my thought... I fish with a 7 ft ML rod and a 1000/2000 series reel with 8 or 10# braid and a 20# leader. I also have a 6'6" setup that I use set up the same way. It is easy to fish with and easy to cast in the open and  I also use it for skipping under docks and mangroves.

One more thing, either let her watch a couple you tube videos (you avoid the squint eye look) on casting and skipping baits and then you and her practice in the yard. Make a game with hula hoops and a couple stations at different distances to cast from. Pretty soon she will be skippin and flippin baits like a pro.

Remember every time you change baits or lures you need a couple practice throws to get the 'new' feel of how hard to throw, at least I do. Maybe she is getting discouraged on the first couple throws when you guys are out because she is not accustomed to the weight? Have her cast in the open a couple times to see how the bait/lure is gonna fly before attempting to pitch it under the dock? Just thinking out loud here.