4Runner Towing a Pathfinder

Nag Juice

I've been shopping for a 5th gen for a few months, but that has slowed down a bit.  The 4.0 liter should tow it fine, but I wouldn't want to tow it long distance.  I have no personal experience with this but a friend tows his 22 pontoon with his, he says it does fine. 

I have both a taco and 4runner. Both tow  my 18MA which is about 3, 000+ lbs when fully loaded just fine around town and for the occasional longer trip. I've used both the taco and the 4Runner to tow up to about 7,000lbs but I wouldn't recommend it.  Too much weight, not enough vehicle. I'd probably want something a little bigger if I was regularly towing a 22. Tundra, Land cruiser, or my new favorite, a Lexus GX which is a baby Land Cruiser. About the same size as 4runner, but has a V8, higher tow capacity. Same tank-like build quality as the 4runner and Land cruiser. 

BTW, The Tundra, 4Runner, Land cruiser, and GX will be redesigned in the next 2 to 3 years.Land cruiser will supposedly be returning to its roots as a serious low-cost off-roader. Turbo v6  likely replacing the V8 in the Land cruiser and the GX.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wthree3 said:

I have both a taco and 4runner. Both tow  my 18MA which is about 3, 000+ lbs when fully loaded just fine around town and for the occasional longer trip. I've used both the taco and the 4Runner to tow up to about 7,000lbs but I wouldn't recommend it.  Too much weight, not enough vehicle. I'd probably want something a little bigger if I was regularly towing a 22. Tundra, Land cruiser, or my new favorite, a Lexus GX which is a baby Land Cruiser. About the same size as 4runner, but has a V8, higher tow capacity. Same tank-like build quality as the 4runner and Land cruiser. 

BTW, The Tundra, 4Runner, Land cruiser, and GX will be redesigned in the next 2 to 3 years.Land cruiser will supposedly be returning to its roots as a serious low-cost off-roader. Turbo v6  likely replacing the V8 in the Land cruiser and the GX.

I love my Gen 5 4 runner but know I’ll be back in a Pathfinder at some point. I guess a GX or a LX/ Land Cruiser might be in the future if it doesn’t pan out.