1998 Maverick 17 MA purchase

Localocean

New to the forum just picked up a 17 MA and was curious on some opinions on what I payed as well as any general suggestions on the boat. Its a 1998 seems pretty well taken care of only issues are the trailer is garbage, Bottom Paint, and tilt trim on the Yamaha 130 is frozen everything else is operational. I payed 6000 for it knowing I had to take care of those issues. Hull and transom are solid and there is a few stress cracks near the bow but nothing bad. Guy I bought it from was the second owner he had it for 15 years and kept it on the trailer. Unkown hours on the motor but I've never seen a 1998 2 stroke so clean. This is my first "flats" boat my offshore boat is a 2150 BW and I've had quite a few skiffs and honestly just knowing the maverick name kinda sold me on the boat.

mav 2.jpg

mav 3.jpg

mav 4.jpg

mav 5.jpg

mav 6.jpg

mav 7.jpg

mav 8.jpg

Mav1.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase!  The MA is a legendary hull, you will discover why on your maiden voyage, or on a day that the weather turns to hell on you.  

Its a pretty versatile hull, a great all around skiff and its beam makes if feel bigger than it is.    For what you have in it, plenty of room to upgrade it.   

Most guys who have had an MA will tell you that the hull will ruin all others for you.   They are increasingly hard to find in good condition, so I hope you like her enough to get her back to original shape.   

Some folks will tell you they are tough to pole.  I pole my 18 around all the time in the summer and enjoy it.   They do look good with a platform and it is a really useful addition, especially with a wireless TM.  You may find that it replaces your offshore boat as your "primary" vessel!

Love that fighting lady yellow, btw!

20200204_132202.jpg

20200328_094830.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations!  Sounds like a solid price for the boat man, even with the work that you'll need to do!  Check in "Favorite Topics"  Search down for "2000 MA I found one, your thoughts"... That was my original thread, it has some excellent suggestions within the comments, this Maverick Master Angler family is very well informed and willing to share some great advice!

And to second Whichwaysup comments, I think that you'll love the ride in this boat, it eat the chop and you'll stay pretty dry for a 17' skiff!  Yes it'll pole but not like a technical skiff, but in my opinion you also have a lot more boat!  I bought mine 3 years ago (or so?) and redid the whole boat, but let me say this, it wasn't really necessary I just wanted to!  Mine started out with the same gelcoat as yours as well! 

Good luck, I am sure you'll enjoy your new to you sled!

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

Dc iPHONe 6-5-17 067.JPG

• Like 3

On 4/29/2020 at 7:51 AM, Localocean said:

Thanks for the info guys a couple trips out so far and she does ride like a dream 

DaveC if ya don’t mind how much was the seadek you had done I’m looking to get that 

Well... I have to tell you that I sell SeaDek to the OEM's so that was a perk basically. I have taken my boat to some dealer events and trade shows so ?  But, you can do some nice additions without costing a fortune, I would be glad to share some ideas with you!  But I would think replicating mine (I really don't know retail so?) would be in the 1500 / 1700 range maybe... installed?

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

DAve C.

Did you paint or regelcoat the console?

dc

Awlgrip… but let me tell you this, I wish that I gel coated it! I have some nicks from tools and rods already? And the color was a bit darker than I actually wanted but... I am thinking about changing my console next year.  I really like the 18.5 console and a couple more?  But yes... I would gel coat if I did this again!   Bob Reichert and I discussed this a bunch and I think we both wish we went the other direction, because I am going to make him install the new console! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 94 17' MA with a side console that I got from the original owner in 2004 or 2005. I've been in seas offshore rougher than I should have been in, and this hull sliced through like a bay boat. I'm torn between wanting to get something bigger and having it completely refurbed at the factory...because I love this rig. And the 130 is about indestructible. Some years back, had my livewell pump wire short and turn on overnight with just enough random eel grass to clog it up. Woke up to the stern submerged up to just above the cowling. Luckily, it was an extreme low tide before it went in. Me and a buddy hauled it onto the lift, drained the boat and flushed the motor completely with fresh water and salt remover...put a new battery in and it started up first crank...unbelievable! Had to put money into it since (plenty) but less than a new repower...still going strong (but smokes like my uncle for a while). For the money, I think you did great but I'm not an expert on value

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, Localocean said:

I payed 6000 for it knowing I had to take care of those issues.

Good price !!!

Enjoy the rebuild...I love my MA17....I've owned a RF18, Pathy 22, Pathy17T, (I've driven for several years my buddies 17HPX-T, and have ridden in the HPX-18 with buddies), I have to say, the MA17, does cut the chop like no other skiff....

21 hours ago, FooFoo502 said:

I'm torn between wanting to get something bigger and having it completely refurbed at the factory...because I love this rig. And the 130 is about indestructible

I'm like you...hard to change it out...

Dc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...