Trolling Motor Length - 2200V

TP13

Got a question on length of TM. I have a old Motorguide Great white 80lbs that’s kicked the bucket. I believe it’s around 54 or 56 inches. 

what’s the consensus on length for new GPS motors? I’m looking at a motorguide xi5 and while I believe 60” is preferred, would a 54” be a poor decision? Yes when windy, the prop would come out of the water,  if I also had the motor higher up to control it. 

Juts looking for some feedback and experience here. 

thanks

Mine is a Xi5. I am using a 60" shaft. When I am anchor locked and its a little nautical I have to push it all the way down to keep it in the water. If its flat calm mine sticks up a foot or so. Anything longer than 60" and it would hang over the side when stowed. 

18 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Mine is a Xi5. I am using a 60" shaft. When I am anchor locked and its a little nautical I have to push it all the way down to keep it in the water. If its flat calm mine sticks up a foot or so. Anything longer than 60" and it would hang over the side when stowed. 

Thanks JH. What size boat are you running? And how do you like the Xi5? That’s what I’m considering 

2012  2200 trs. The xi5 has been good. Very quite and powerful. The interface with my Lowrance is great. The Minn Kota and the Rodan seem to be just as good now so if I was going to switch to  Humminbird (and I am not) I would consider a MK. The remote is much better and the dealer network is better. If I was not going to interface with my GPS I would go Rodan. I think they are more durable. 

• 2 weeks later...