All TRS Owners, a Little Survey For You

Ron in Atlanta

The older (my 2016 year 2200 TRS included) TRS models had a single “ball and socket” fitting to hold the backrest down while trailering or running at speed on the water…

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.db93fda09302183c04ec20e3b83728dd.jpeg

IMG_4111.thumb.jpeg.be40d1041bd96193be5669373ebfebd5.jpeg

I believe that in 2017, they changed to this...

174576598_37035102BARRELBOLT.jpg.76e6a937cb8d04e9d1431dec922cb490.thumb.jpg.7c1971105879a00504a74abe55d95258.jpg

Here is my "survey" question...how many of you, with the older arrangement, have stepped (or have a guest step) on the rear of the closed backrest and had this happen...

799256768_PathfinderForumPhotos-9.thumb.jpg.9b08ec7d14c60ff62d11a5b8cb08b319.jpg

...resulting in a fall or some minor injury?

Thanks and stay safe out there.

Pathfinder Forum Photos-7.jpg

I Love my 2012 TRS. I had no need for a release well and I have excellent access to my entire bilge. Thats worth its weight in gold if you work on your own boat. 

I never had one open when being stepped on even before I added my latches. They DID however pop up when going down the road on the trailer. 

I put in these pin latches. Problem solved. 

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

When I purchased my 2015 2400 TRS 2 years ago used with 50 hrs on it one of the seats flipped up on the 3 hr ride home. Didnt think much about it and one of the first few times I took it out and was walking around the back deck bare foot stepped on the back portion of the seat and it popped up and I almost rolled my ankle. So began the hunt for a solution when I was at the boat show I saw the new Pathfinder TRS with the new style latch so I ordered and installed them , no problems and they work great. They are slam latches so you fold the seat down and they latch , but to release you must pull the slide pin over. Very happy with the result and do not have to worry about anyone walking around the back deck and no more seat popping up trailering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, redzone1 said:

This is what we call in my business a tort teaser.

A good thought, redzone1 but no, I'm not trying to suggest negligence on the part of the manufacturer, just a poor initial solution to holding the backrests in place when down.  Here is what I'm suggesting, having seen the stories shown above.

• The early TRS boats had a poor solution to holding down the backrests, both during trailering and when inadvertently stepped on.
  • MBG listened to comments from their owners (which we love about them) and improved the way that the backtests are secured, the "slam latch" 

Now, I've owned automobiles that were "recalled" where problems were repaired for no charge by the dealers.  Some of the auto recalls were seemingly for insignificant issues, e.g., driver's side carpets held down so as not to slip over the gas pedal and cause "unintended acceleration".

I don't think a general recall is in order, however, I do think that MBG ought to provide, at no charge,  the "slam latch" solution to any owner that asks for it (as some have above).

It's not a big deal, it is still the best looking and best operating boat out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...