Throttle Friction

fin-addict

This has been a pet peeve of mine since buying the boat 7 years ago but have learned to live with it up until last Saturday during a boat parade I was in. I had to keep adjusting my speed due to the other boats in the parade. Sorry if I draw this out but want to give you all the facts. My upper station throttle is silky smooth and easy throughout the entire rpm range with no throttle creep at all. My lower station throttle is stiffer and has no throttle creep. From idle to 800 rpm’s is smooth and set rpm easy where I want it to be. From 800 to 1200 is a bear to set the rpm where wanted, not smooth. Have to keep adjusting throttle up and down to get to proper rpm. Very stiff. Past 1200 still stiffer than upper throttle but smooth and no problem setting to exact rpm wanted. I know there is a throttle adjustment screw but I do not understand what would cause the problem at 800-1200. Any suggestions would help. 😀🙏 fin

I'm assuming you have adjusted the "friction screw" in the binnacle!! Had the same problem with my Yamaha 150, way too loose, would fall off rpms all the time. Adjusted the binnacle and all was good. Oh yeah, I know where your coming from, it's a PIA!!

15 minutes ago, DonV said:

I'm assuming you have adjusted the "friction screw" in the binnacle!! Had the same problem with my Yamaha 150, way too loose, would fall off rpms all the time. Adjusted the binnacle and all was good. Oh yeah, I know where your coming from, it's a PIA!!

Have not tried adjusting yet due to it being only between the rpm’s stated. No throttle creep ever. Can hold rpm all day. Just a pia to keep bumping throttle at times.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

At that RPM you are close to the detente in the throttle mechanism. Its that point that you are driving the shift and throttle mechanism.

Should be able to adjust that with the tension screw.

I don’t really mind the stiffness but don’t understand why the problem between 800 and 1200 rpm where I have to keep bumping and adjusting the throttle to get to 1000 which is my normal rpm in my canal system, approx 5 mph.

16 minutes ago, DonV said:

Oh yeah Fin I forgot. When I tried to take off the binnacle cover to do the adjustment I broke off some of the small screws, can't remember how many, but no need to ask me if I was happy. Corrosion and boats, a true love affair!! :)

Have read many post regarding that problems and some that have tabs on them. Also read many post how adjustment should be done.  Motor on ,off, in gear, neutral safety and such, confusing at this point, lol.

44 minutes ago, wthree3 said:

Friction adjustment screw should be accessible through the rubber grommet on the back of the cover. No need to take the cover off.

No rubber on the back. Think that’s on newer models. Other have adjustment on bottom of throttle inside console. This one cover must come off. Thanks for the response.