New trailer hubs and bearings on a trailer that sits.

ofdphildo

Hey guys, a few months back I replaced my trailer hubs with new CE Smith prepacked bearing and hub assemblies. The trailer hasn't been on the road since, I recently noticed that it looks like some of the oil (very small amount) was starting to separate from the grease/leak out of the hubs on the back of the rims. The boat stays on a lift and the trailer gets very little use, I just want it be road worthy should I need it. My question is, should I be exercising the trailer every so often to make sure everything stays ready and working?  Thanks.

Is it directly in the sun? Unless the hubs are getting hot and the grease is breaking down there should be no leaking even if it never moves. I have seen oil bath hubs do that. Not grease hubs. The reality is it probably is not a problem. You might want to take it for a ride every so often just to be safe.

It’s call bleed rate.  All greases bleed oil, particularly if there is either heat or pressure present.  Some grease bleed oil at a faster rate.

What I would be concerned with is the oil leakage past the rear seal.  Do you have a bad seal or perhaps the seal riding surface is compromised, it’s grooved or rough.