Trolling Motor Brands/Shaft Length

unctarheels88

Good afternoon all. Id like to start and say hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during these times. I am new to this forum so here's a little background of what kind of fishing/boating I do. 

I have a 2004 2200v PF with a 2005 F150. I currently live in Mobile, AL and do a lot of fishing in the south end of mobile bay, as well as offshore from 0-15 miles (20% inshore, 80% offshore). I am in the market for a GPS trolling motor that has the "spot lock" feature. Main reason for this feature is to fish the reefs without fighting currents and winds and will be mostly used offshore. I already know I want a 36v for the extra power when needed but still am back and forth on brand and shaft length. My good buddy has a MK 36v, 72" shaft and we dry mounted it on my boat but my concern is not being able to use the correct quick release mount(RTA-54) without moving my bow cleat which I don't want to do. Again, his is a 72" but I'm thinking its overkill and he is saying its not. This leaves me with questions for you guys/gals: For those that have 60" shafts and off-shore fish, in what seas would you think the motor would start coming out of the water? And as far as brand, Im still open to suggestions. I know this is a lot so thank you for your time.

-Adam

I was told to buy the trolling motor length for 90% of your fishing.. Makes sense so we ended up with a 60", and I wish I had gone with the 72" It will work for the 90% of the water i fish and cover the other 10% that i don't regularly fish. 

I hope you understand the garbled answer. I would always go a little longer and BTW I have 36v rohdan made/servicesd in Florida.. great folks too

Thanks for the reply Robert!

Im assuming you do offshore fishing like I do. On that note, what size seas do you see that you had wished you had a 72"?

Also, Ive heard great things about Rhodan. Only thing I'm a little worried about is if something goes wrong with it, I'd have to try to fix it myself or ship it back to FL.

I have been in the gulf fishing but it is not my home water. When sitting out by the number one marker in  Steinhatchee those close two footers wil throw the bow up pretty quick. the good newes is it comes right back down. It may come down to if its is too rough to keep the 60" inch motor submerged you may not want to be fishing anyway. My motor is a Minn Kota. I love the spot lock feature. we fished at a local reef last week and it was nice to move around a little and to try other drops and not fight a anchor.

Do i wish i had a 72? My boat was rigged with the 60" Minn Kota when i bought it. If i were buying a new motor and the 72 would fit i would likely buy the 72.

I just bought a smaller spot lock motor. for another boat.  I went with the Rhodan. based mainly on the reviews of the customer service. I knew the remote was smaller and just a few buttons and i thought that would be nice. But you have to have a good memory to use  stored information. personally for me if it stays where i hit the anchor and and moves in a straight line im good with it. I did download the instruction manual on my phone for futrure referance.

Size matters. Go big. Heck I ran a 60 on a flats boat. As for brands...Went Rhodan little over a year ago and she's a good one but thats a Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota truck kinda loaded question. Fan boys abound for them all. Freshwater guys are liking the Lowrance Ghost Troller. Maybe they will give us a salty option one day. Good to see some competition.

Also for your mount option this is getting lots of ink as something to solve all mounting issues.

https://www.shuttleslide.com

Thanks again for the responses. Im still undecided but leaning towards the 72". As far as mounting goes, Triplec, I have been looking everywhere for something just like that. 

You are a lifesaver my friend! Reason why these forums are so important. Unlimited resources.

Thanks again to all. 

• Like 1

I have a 2009 22 PF with Minn Kota 36 v 112 lb and a 72” shaft. Great for out front Tarpon or Tripletail fishing in the swells....it’s perfect. 

As far as brands....flip a coin....I’m sure there are a multitude of opinions. I’m happy with the Minn Kota thus far ( going on 4 years )

IMO there is 1 reason to consider the 60 over 72 on your boat..... If you fish shallow much from the bow your gonna have a trolling motor head much higher than normal.  Pick your poison... but Id say go with the 72 unless you never go offshore in a swell.  As to brand that has been beat to death on about any forum... best to search

15 hours ago, unctarheels88 said:

Thanks for the reply Robert!

Im assuming you do offshore fishing like I do. On that note, what size seas do you see that you had wished you had a 72"?

Also, Ive heard great things about Rhodan. Only thing I'm a little worried about is if something goes wrong with it, I'd have to try to fix it myself or ship it back to FL.

I would go with the longer option: 72" in my case.. i like to fish Tarpon off the beaches and spooking them with a short trolling motor splashing and coming completely out of the waters is a deal breaker for me.. Rhodan will/does help over the phone.. where do you send MK or MG when things got wrong? They all have issues.. FLA is easier to ship or drive to than others.

seas of honest 2+ footers will cause the boat to rock and roll enough to bring motor (60") out of the water, so 72" has no downside if it can be stored inboard of the gunwales

19 hours ago, unctarheels88 said:

You could call to confirm...but I think their business model is akin to power pole in that if you have a problem you call and they diagnose and send you the part needed. I do know they now have a service center or two open as well, one for sure in Jacksonville FL so that could change as those continue to come online.

Just want to confirm that the consensus is that the 72” shaft is the best for the pathfinders. I was on the pathfinder boats website today under build your boat noticed they only showed the 60” model, even on the 2500 hybrid which I assume is a taller boat and more directed for offshore use then the other models. 

I say the 60" shaft  for 22' and 24'  Pathfinders.  A 72' would hang off the side when stowed and is not needed unless you fish in four foot seas. I fish in the gulf in a three foot chop and my 60' was just enough. I can say we do not stay in those conditions very long unless the cobia are surfin and biting.

Thanks again for all the responses! You guys have been a tremendous help. Im gonna call Rhodan on Monday and ask them a few questions about repair and what the dimensions on there mount is. Would like to know if it would fit with a 72" and keep it inboard the gunwale. Ill let y'all know.

For those again that are curious, I do most of my fishing around reefs, oil rigs, and a few sandy bars. The main reason, I want the 72" is for the extra length if I ever needed it. 

Its come down to the MK and Rhodan so Ill let you guys know what I went with, post pictures, and give y'all feedback once I use it for a little. 

Y'all stay great!

-Adam

• Like 1

I just went through this process.  Went with a 36v-112lb-60" MK and she fits like an absolute glove.  I couldn't imagine trying to fandangle another 12" of shaft.  I mounted the RTA-54, but my cleat has been moved offset of center.  I ended up adding 3 recessed holes under the stiffer plate to get a total of 5 bolts thru bolted.  This was necessary as I didn't want to drill through the edge of the cap just to use the front 2 holes in the puck. This probably isn't making any sense but i can provide photos if anyone is interested.  Anyways the 60" is a perfect fit.  I run the same hull and motor.  Could be a different story offshore all the time, but your definitely not running a 2200v offshore 80% of the time in SC.