2300hps steering binding

Pmckh

Recently I've noticed that I'm having a bit of an issue with my steering binding a bit. It only happens if I go all the way to lock or close to it in one particular direction and then try to turn back to straighten out. It will get very stiff in the wheel and hard to turn then pop and go back to being free. I notice when looking back at the motor(250 sho) while doing this that the bracket from the engine to the steering will flex down as it's binding up. I checked the single nut there and nothing seems to be loose. Any ideas?

12 hours ago, Pmckh said:

Recently I've noticed that I'm having a bit of an issue with my steering binding a bit. It only happens if I go all the way to lock or close to it in one particular direction and then try to turn back to straighten out. It will get very stiff in the wheel and hard to turn then pop and go back to being free. I notice when looking back at the motor(250 sho) while doing this that the bracket from the engine to the steering will flex down as it's binding up. I checked the single nut there and nothing seems to be loose. Any ideas?

Some more people will respond but it is an early SHO problem.  The steering arm bends when the tilt tube corrodes.  A few guys on here have had the same issue.  They skimped on the metal on the SHO. 

Sounds Like the Steering ram hangs when you turn full lock or the plate where the motor steering arm connects to the steering ram is dry or bent.. Take the single bolt that attaches the steering arm from the motor to the flat plate attached to the steering ram lose or out and see if it stops binding. This area needs constant grease.    

When it comes to the SHO's  Make sure of a couple of other things. All these will not really cause what you describe But......

Make sure The steering balance bar that goes through the Motor tilt tube is free. You can do that by watching the steering arm nuts. They should move as you tilt the motor. If the nuts do not move but the steering arms do then the balance bar is most likely stuck. This will ware out the steering arms or cause the motor steering arm to bend down and bind while steering. 

The SHOs are also famous for the Trim and Tilt pins locking up. The OEM pins are junk. I was lucky and using a large c clamp was able to remove mine and /replace them with new Stainless ones from https://five-star-marine.myshopify.com. I use their SS pins and OEM white bushings. Problem solved. When I need to service my Trim and Tilt unit easy on and off.

Always use 2-4-C with PTFE grease when servicing these parts. I use QuickSilver brand.  If need send some pictures of that area. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...