Rhodan Trolling Motors

jh141

Anyone have any experience with Rhodan Trolling Motors. I am ready to make a change and must have reliable GPS Anchor (Spot) Lock and Heading Lock. I am happy with the way my Motor guide XI5 works when it "USE" to work. It is completely rebuilt (control board, GPS module,Lower unit and shaft) and is very unreliable when using the GPS features. Motor Guide (Mercury) is absolutely no help.  I was so , so ok with my Minn Kota but that was ten years ago. 

I am ready to go Rhodan, I have heard nothing but good things about them. It would be a 36 volt, 60" shaft on a 22' Pathy.  Replacing  the same spec Xi5.                                                                                         Please , Any Comments Good or bad would be appreciated.

Man I was about the pull the trigger on the xi5 two days ago and now have second thoughts on brand and shaft length from recent posts.  

I called Rhodan and would go that way, except it wont tie into my Lowrance Elite TI.  They told me that it will only be certain gps models and they are ready to go, but waiting for Lowrance / Simard to do a software update.  You would then need to purchase a separate couple hundred dollar module to connect in addition to NEMA.  

I really want the ability to have preloaded routes on my gps so Motor Guide seems like the best option.  

JPizzle,  I have a Lowrance Carbon now and had the HDS Gen 2 when I first bought my XI5. The interface with Lowrance is or was nice. I mostly used the auto pilot to take me to waypoints. Recently it would even go to the waypoint and switch to anchor lock automatically, that was nice.

The problem is my lower unit was worn out and was making noise. I replaced the lower unit and shaft. When I put it back together (and it is very simple) I put the head unit GPS module in upside down (since learned that is very easy to do). I thought I had damaged the GPS module when I did the lower unit. I ordered a new one. I also found corrosion on the control board pins that connect to the lights and one was broken so I also ordered a new control board. Both these "new" parts are supposed to be upgrades and the upper unit GPS module is now hard plastic and easy to put in correctly. The control board is now called "universal" and a little different but in a good way. The beep is now much louder, which is nice.

The GPS functions will now not work reliably. When I first turned it on the Lowrance wanted to do a software update and it never would complete it. My Lowrance has version 20.0  the latest. I called Motor Guide. They say the software upgrade is the problem. They told me to put my NEMA 2000 network on a switch and not to turn it on until the XI5 is deployed and has a GPS signal. Another reason for having working lights and loud beeps. So I did that. Sometimes it would work but mostly it does not work. Lately I have removed the XI5 completely from the NEMA 2000 network. Now even completely stand alone the Anchor Lock and Heading Lock are totally unreliable.

I have talked to Motor Guide and Lowrance. Motor Guide (gave me a work around, switch on NEMA) and blames Lowrance. Lowrance has no answer. Motor Guide will not warranty any of the new parts. They will not even acknowledge a problem. 

So if I can not have the interface with my Lowrance and This is Motor Guide customer service I am going a different direction. 

If Rhodan has a reliable GPS I am all in. I love the coating on the lower unit. Very stout. This also bring the reason for my question..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Let me pile on.  I know everyone has opinions, but really, in clear terms from those who have had both rhodams and other brands, what is the selling point for the more expensive rhodan?

I own one and can sure answer that question and take a stab at the OP questions too. So will give my .02 to ya both...as best I can. Im an old guy and owned a pile of two brands and one Rhodan. I was in a position for many years to buy MK or MG at a steeply discounted rate and changed them every year.  Once or twice I actually made a year without one going in the shop but usually they all had a trip to the shop or 2 or 3 under warranty. Had 3 Ulterra's and MK replaced one under warranty. All saw the shop too often.  So much so I had to keep a spare ipilot to used while they were in the shop. But...I use them. Hard. Way more hours on my trollers than my outboards. So...if Lowrance Ghost troller had hit the market with salt version I would of likely tried it too as I was fed up with MK and mostly MK customer service. They have none really for motors in or out of warranty.  Remote went bad and they would not let repair center give me one . Nope. Had to wait a couple weeks on them to ship it. Dropped one of the newer ones over and they sink like a brick. Why... Minn Kota why...do you make a remote that dangles from a rope to be used on a boat and won't float 🤷‍♂️. I digress...They were out of stock so 4 weeks to get a new one second go round. Only comes with one so had to keep spares. Maybe power pole service has me spoiled 😁

All things considered the Rhodan is actually less than the MK. The Rhodan retails for like 100 bucks more than MK and its worth every penny more to me if all things were even. But they are not. The Rhodan is built for the salt and built local to us in Florida. As such every motor is bed liner coated on the foot. Thats huge for those of us dragging over oysters and fishing...well...where the fish are here. 🤷‍♂️🤣 Rhodan also comes pre mounted to a quick release and they include the puck. As well as a Ram mount for extra stability. I think MK quick release is like 75 bucks and I had a quote to have my MK foot bedlinered and it was like a hundred bucks. So...all things considered just on those items alone they include, it evens things out to me. The Rhodan clearly has heavier wiring and maybe I had a bad batch of MKs but my Rhodan is stronger, quieter and uses less battery than the MK. It absolutely holds the spot lock on the spot and with much less hunting and spinning than any MK or MG I ever owned. The MG spot lock is superior to to the MK though. Buddy runs MG and it holds better than MK but that Rhodan is much tighter holding pattern. Much much tighter with milder ramp up. 

I have 15 months on my Rhodan and have never needed customer service other than ordering new props (see oyster bar comment above 😒) every 3-4 months but they are similar to PP's customer service from my calls to them. The motor has performed for me exceedingly well. I run a 24v 80 pounder so I can''t speak to the 36v question but the 24 is strong. Rhodan can tell you why its stronger than competitors. Something to do with how the motor is wound akin to HP being measured at the hub vs on the dyno in theory I guess.

Their new motors will have Lowrance connectivity but they don't yet. Not sure if plus or neg but the Rhodan remote is about size of my power pole remote and I have come to enjoy it that size. And it floats 🤣 You do give up the screen and lots of extra buttons and functions. I don't store a pile of routes and the Rhodan 12 memory positions are more than I use. I mostly use the lock, cruise control, steer and power so the simplicity has grown on me. Others will chime in with more I am sure but here in Florida the Rhodan has become a lot more common sight on decks. Maybe other places too as they seem to be modeling power poles service for motors out of Florida that may have an issue. Apparently they are proficient at trouble shooting over phone and getting the part you need out asap. 

With all that said...I drive a GMC truck, but have owned all kinds of trucks Ford, Dodge, Toyo and each served a purpose and each has had their time to shine same as the trollers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jh141 That doesn’t sound good. How long have you had the motor?  I really wanted the interface as I have 4 kids and spend a good amount of time rerigging and baiting hooks. Figured it could at least keep us moving. 

We have a good service place locally for minn Kota and motor guide and Rhodan is only about 2 hours away if needed so that doesn’t seem to be an issue. 

I can tell you that when I called Rhodan in regards to the connectivity to Lowrance that I had seen mentioned, the lady that answered the phone was very knowledgeable and went through the whole situation with me. She explained where they were at in the process and what was needed from Navico. On the other hand when I called motor guide, the rep seemed to pretty much just follow a prompt and didn’t sound like it was a stateside call center.  Obviously two very different company sizes and structures, but I prefer the more local hands on of Rhodan and think they would be better to deal with in the event you needed them. 

I have a Rhodan 36v,n spot lock is the best in industry, I heard RHODAN supplies the other 2 brands with the gps board. 

the Rohdan has it share of screw-ups, replace both  control bed and GPS after one year. There service is the best, like Power pole.  I like the fact I can drive to the plant, if need be.

I have had them all, and they do break.. I had mine auto deploy at 45MPH after hitting a boat wake. scary!! Nothing broke but I bought the ram mount to stop that from happening, as I am not diligent enough to adjust the height ring after every use.

I get asked an ton of questions about it and I am favorable to rhodan., since the replacement BRD have fixed the problem, and never reoccured.

• Like 1

I just put a 36v 120# thrust on my 26' offshore boat.  I love it; fished in 2' - 3' choppy waves and very strong current last weekend and it held on my numbers great.  I think that model would probably pull skis on a Pathy.  I had it installed by a young man that has a company in Sarasota that came to Panama City to do 3 installs over a weekend.  He is an authorized installer and did a very neat and professional job.  His shop is "There She Glows" a marine lights and electronics company.

Guys,   THANK YOU !!!!!  This is exactly what I thought I would hear.  

Triplec,  Thank You for your response, I will be replacing my Motor Guide XI5 with a Rhodan. ( maybe the Lowrance interface will come sooner that later, that would be an unexpected + )

JPizzle,  I have had my XI5 for 4 years and I estimate it to have at least 2000 hours. My frustration is that I updated the GPS and Control Board and I can not solve the current problems. It still works great as a NONE GPS motor (lower unit has also been replaced) I would be afraid to purchase a new one knowing it would have the new GPS and Control Board so I am going Rohdan.

Robert3, Thank You for your response, Thats what I wanted to hear, if It breaks it Gets FIXED. 

Limitless, Thank You for responding, Another satisfied user.

21 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Let me pile on.  I know everyone has opinions, but really, in clear terms from those who have had both rhodams and other brands, what is the selling point for the more expensive rhodan?

Sorry OP if this is a hijack, if so, I will delete my post

Triplec covered it. Durability, Durability,Durability and Customer Service!!!!   and not a hijack, this is what it is all about.

Redzone1, Thank You! 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I bought a Rhodan 72 inch 36 volt 120 thrust trolling motor . For my 226 Grady white seafarer ,

I am a licensed  electrician and very mechanically  inclined  so I installed the set up my self .No issues everything went smooth .

The unit worked great. Then I was out on a rock pile Black-fishing and the unit just started spinning in circles and beeping it lost GPS signal and was looking for it. I got home and called Rhodan.  They were extremely helpful on how to reset the unit .The unit was fine for a while then the same thing happened again I did the reset again like they told me. And all good for a while , happened to be down in Sarasota where Rhodan is shipped from and the shop is .I stopped in to talk to a service technician and they gave me the parts to correct the problem and we’re so helpful .I have to say Jeremy and Dana were both Awesome and  answered all my questions. They even went above and beyond and printed detailed instructions on how to install the new wiring harness and head module they gave me to get my unit up and running .I have been a boat owner for 40 + years and this was by far the best experience I’ve had with a service provider.  I highly recommend Rhodan marine!!