Wet Anchor Locker

Bruce J

I probably only use the anchor on my 2400 TRS about once a year, if that, but the anchor locker is always wet or at least damp.  It must be coming in from rain since my boat spends about half its life on the lift.  I just noticed that the anchor hatch cover is not dry/self-draining.  Have any of you come up with a clever way to keep the rode dry?  I've tried to find a grate or box of some kind that would keep it off the floor and get some air circulation underneath, but it's an odd shaped area and I haven't come up with a quick fix yet.

I have a piece of cut Dri-Dek in mine to "keep it off the floor and get some air circulation underneath". Also have about 18" of 1/4" rope tied to the Dry-Dek. About 6/8" lays in the bottom of the locker under the Dry-Dek with about !0" stuck through the drain hole. Don't use synthetic twine for your "wick", you want something absorbent. This works. 

https://www.dri-dek.com/

West Marine sells it by the square.

9 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I have a piece of cut Dri-Dek in mine to "keep it off the floor and get some air circulation underneath". Also have about 18" of 1/4" rope tied to the Dry-Dek. About 6/8" lays in the bottom of the locker under the Dry-Dek with about !0" stuck through the drain hole. Don't use synthetic twine for your "wick", you want something absorbent. This works. 

https://www.dri-dek.com/

West Marine sells it by the square.

So the rope wicks the water from the rode down under the Dri-Dek?

12 hours ago, Bruce J said:

So the rope wicks the water from the rode down under the Dri-Dek?

No. All the rope  is under the Dri-Dek , on the floor of the locker, to wick the water that pools there. The Dri-Dek keeps the rode from laying in the pool. 

When my boat is sitting it holds about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the locker.

Tie the wick to the forward edge of the Dri-Dek and run it under it to the drain. The wick is tied to the Dri-Dek to keep from loosing it down the drain from vibration. I did consider double stacking the Dry-Dek but that was not needed. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Bernie.  I looked at the locker better today and understand what you're saying.  The main problem is that there is a depressed area right under the anchor/rode that just perpetually holds a few ounces of water.  If that depressed area was just filled in to be level or above the drain hole, then there would be no problem at all because it would drain out on its own completely.  Maybe that's just on my boat, but it sounds like you and few others have it too.  It would seem to be a simple fix in the hull lay-up not to have that little depression.

Will get to work on the fix.  Thanks again.