Amplifier recommendations?

centrofinatic

JL just took a dump. Looking to replace but I'd really love to invest in an amplifier that will last more than a few years. Never abused it and it was professionally mounted and out of the elements. Did not even use it all the time and never pushed it hard. Installed 10/2017.

Online reviews make it seem like every amp is both the worst and the best.  Anyone have a positive experience they could share?  Thanks.

I wish I had better news but I seem to have the same luck as you.  I only get a few years out of amps and it really doesn't matter what brand.  I stopped buying marine amps and started using car amps since they are normally cheaper and last just as long.  The only thing with a car amp is sometimes some of the screws corrode a bit.  Other than that, same life span.  Look for true RMS ratings when sourcing different amps so you can compare it to what you had.  Not all amps are rated the same, especially the cheap ones. 

Consider where the amps are located, they need to have enough room around them for ambient temp rise.  (make sure they are raised from the deck or bulkhead) They generate a good deal of heat.  So if you are only getting a couple years check that location... and don't cover them up with anything. Also, low voltage will cause some degree of degradation.  Frankly all marine amps are very similar, they're conformal coated and share many of the same components,  personally I wouldn't put automotive electronics on my boat, my opinion?  So... make sure you have good power, give them some room... most are the same man! 

By the way my Nephew has been in the car/boat/mobile stereo business for over 30 years. He sold and installed every brand out there, at the time he got me, along with other family members a stereo package for the boat for Christmas. I got a Kicker head unit along with the amp, but when it came to the speakers, he went with the a different brand because of feed back from clients and experience.

With the use of side x sides and motorcycles with stereos becoming more popular, manufacturers are changing to meet the harsh demands required by the owner. Remember that anything that went on a saltwater boat was considered a consumable, they expected you to have to replace it sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...