Best Trailer for 2400TRS (2014 w/300 Yam)

Redfish15

Looking for a trailer for my 2014 2400TRS.... looked at Owen's & Sons, Magic Tilt, Ameratrail..... any opinions on the best choice... Prefer function/quality  over cost. My boat is dry storage so I'll only be using the trailer on a limited bases but when I do use it I hope to travel pretty good distances... Tampa to Boca, Tampa to Pensacola etc.... It would be hooking up to a 2015 Toyota Tundra.

Thanks

I have an Ameritrail. I really like the fit,  the way the bunks are setup. It really holds my TRS very well. Very easy to launch and retrive. Tows perfectly.  Now the difference is in which upgrades you are willing to spend the money on. All the trailers are close, but I think the Ameritrail holds the Pathfinders better. They will "ALL" need upgrades to be less troublesome including the Ameritrail.

Brakes,  Only one setup will be trouble free, 100 percent Kodiak all Stainless. This is what I currently use. 6 years trouble free, but they cost.

Hubs, The Vortex hub seem to be the best. Less Maintenance. I have Kodiak Stainless Steel hubs with bearing buddies and bras. I run new grease through them every six months. If Vortex hubs were stainless, I would have them.

My boat and trailer are eight years old and I fish almost every weekend and everyday during the week I can get off. Each trip is two hundred miles round trip. 

This is my experience and opinion. Some will agree and some will have a different perspective. But no one has ever seen me on the side on the road with a boat trailer failure LOL!

YET !!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, jh141 said:

I have an Ameritrail. I really like the fit,  the way the bunks are setup. It really holds my TRS very well. Very easy to launch and retrive. Tows perfectly.  Now the difference is in which upgrades you are willing to spend the money on. All the trailers are close, but I think the Ameritrail holds the Pathfinders better. They will "ALL" need upgrades to be less troublesome including the Ameritrail.

Brakes,  Only one setup will be trouble free, 100 percent Kodiak all Stainless. This is what I currently use. 6 years trouble free, but they cost.

Hubs, The Vortex hub seem to be the best. Less Maintenance. I have Kodiak Stainless Steel hubs with bearing buddies and bras. I run new grease through them every six months. If Vortex hubs were stainless, I would have them.

My boat and trailer are eight years old and I fish almost every weekend and everyday during the week I can get off. Each trip is two hundred miles round trip. 

This is my experience and opinion. Some will agree and some will have a different perspective. But no one has ever seen me on the side on the road with a boat trailer failure LOL!

YET !!!

jh141: Thanks for the insight on brakes/hubs. I bought a new to me 2016 23 HPS w/dual axle Ameritrail last November. The rotors and calipers were obviously the low grade because after 3-1/2 years, they're in bad shape. Like you, I'm replacing brakes and hubs with Kodiak but I'm on the fence about whether to go with the integral stainless rotor/hub or go Vortex hubs with stainless rotors/calipers. Which way did you go on this? Also, I've spoken to a few people who think that just putting brakes on one of the 2 axles is sufficient.  Any thoughts about that?

Thanks again.

I would keep brakes on both axles. My hubs and rotors are NOT integral. I do not like the one one piece setup.  I have Kodiak stainless hubs. The Vortex hubs were not available when I did my upgrade. The only thing I do not like about Vortex hubs is they are not Stainless Steel. 

I would for sure go with Kodiak stainless, calipers, caliper brackets, rotors and stainless backed brake pads. Kodiak Stainless hubs or Vortex Hubs. Heard lots of good things about Vortex hubs, Just wish they were stainless.

Hope this helps

11 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

You need to check trailer brake requirements in your state. Pretty sure any 22 Pathfinder or bigger requires brakes on all axles in state of Florida.

Yes, thanks. Did that too.  It's pretty vague in NC.  Just says any trailer with a GVWR of 4K# or more requires brakes.  It's silent about multi-axle requirements.

When I bought my Ameratrail in 2010? to replace the trailer that came with my new 2005 22, the new Ameratrail needed adjustment. One bunk need to be moved over 1 1/2" and the winch stand needed to be moved forward to properly fit my 22. Just an FYI if you take delivery directly from Ameratrail.

Great trailer which is about 10 years old now, all lights are still original. I feel the frame is way overbuilt for a light 22' bay boat. I have replaced my brakes twice. With the newest set, after discussion with my marina, I only put brakes on 1 axle. Keep in mind my original single axle trailer that came with the boat in 2005 had no brakes, I tow with a newer Ford Super Duty and I am not in Florida.  Ameratrail has always been a very good company to deal with.

7 hours ago, nhinshoreangler said:

When I bought my Ameratrail in 2010? to replace the trailer that came with my new 2005 22, the new Ameratrail needed adjustment. One bunk need to be moved over 1 1/2" and the winch stand needed to be moved forward to properly fit my 22. Just an FYI if you take delivery directly from Ameratrail.

Great trailer which is about 10 years old now, all lights are still original. I feel the frame is way overbuilt for a light 22' bay boat. I have replaced my brakes twice. With the newest set, after discussion with my marina, I only put brakes on 1 axle. Keep in mind my original single axle trailer that came with the boat in 2005 had no brakes, I tow with a newer Ford Super Duty and I am not in Florida.  Ameratrail has always been a very good company to deal with.

I do like the Ameritrail platform for the Pathfinder.  I like how it sits low between the wheels with pads on the wheel well sides, similar to a bass boat trailer I had years ago.  That makes launching way better on sketchy ramps/low tide. And the bunk setup for the stepped hull on the 23 HPS is perfect.  jh141 is right - the basic platform is really good, but there are some upgrades to hubs/brakes, etc. that make it way less maintenance.  If I had your SuperDuty, I'd lean toward a single braking axle, but because I'm towing with a GMC 1/2 ton Z71,  I'm leaning towards replacing brakes on both axles.