Repower 22V with An E-Tec

Mike45q

Still looking at options if I need to replace my 2003 Yami 200 HPDI with 1300 Hours. Getting checked out this week to see if it still has some life left in it. I already priced out some Yammi options but just wondered if E-Tec may be a practical option. Evinrude is running a promotion with extra years on warranty and some saving on rigging. E-Tec has weight advantage and maybe some hole shoot advantage.

If anyone has gone this way and/or done the comparison, can you share your opinions?

Maybe I am crazy to consider since I have run Yammi's since the early 90's when Evinrude went thru the Ficht fiasco but I thought I would ask. No I still would not even consider going to the "Dark Side" so don't even suggest Mercury.

Thanks in Advance for the Help

Still Conflicted Mike

Etec is heavier than the Yamaha Sho. Plus with the SHO you get a quite motor, no oil pouring (sounds stupid but I love it now), and a lot better resale.

I ***ume you are talking about the evinrude g2? If so, you better make sure the recalls have been done, there were some extensive ones. Also, have you priced out the g2? A 250 Ho g2 with power steering is over 23k

If your current motor is still running, get it looked at but I would run it till it dies. It could die 1 hour from now or 1000, but it's cheaper than a new motor.

I almost went with an etec on mine when I bought it. Main reason I didn't was having to take up the rigging box with the oil tank, think the G2 doesn't have it. So yeah its a viable option and a decent motor from what I hear. I cant remember his new forum name but the person on here who owns inshore marine specialties has a 150 etec on his 20' pathy... I checked with him on how he liked it when I was trying to decide and he loved his and had no issues.

I also considered the Suzuki... ironically enough I personally know 2 people who ran them and both popped for no apparent reason and both re powered with yams... kinda spooked me a little.

The new G2 is a great engine. More power and torque than any motor in its cl***. I'd rather add oil than change oil any day of the week. I love yamaha 2 strokes. I've never wanted to deal with the four strokes notorious corrosion issues in the exhaust plate and mid section. Maybe the SHO has improved gaskets and alloy, but my mechanic friends are weary. Your VMAX didn't have those issues, great engine. As far as the dark side. The new Opti pro XS is an awesome engine as well as the new gen Verado. They are night and day better than they were when they first came out.

I have a 2200v with a 250ho etec. Did a fair amount of research on different outboards for repower.

Very happy with the performance and not one issue in the three years I've had it.

Most of the people who bad mouth them, typically never owned one.

Archived