Yamaha 250 SHO problems

Pabel1993

Need some help I have a Yamaha 250 sho on my 2300 and it seems to be starved for fuel. The boat will idle all day long with no problems whatsoever and I can rev it up in neutral and not starve out. But it seems that once I try to get on plane it’ll start spitting and sputtering and shut off. The only way I can get it to come back on at this point is to re prime the motor. It was doing this a few months ago but would kinda clear its self up after a few times, but now I can’t even get a 100 yards. I’ve replaced both fuel filters , and the primer ball, but are kinda stuck on where to look next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get Rid of the Anti Siphon. My SHO was doing the same thing, but not as bad. Removed the anti siphon and it seems to have cleared up. Had already replaced primer bulb twice. As a side note there is a drain on the bottom on the vst tank with a hose attached. You can drain it and check for fuel.

I removed the anti siphon fitting. I took a 3/8 drill bit and drilled out a 1/4 inch on the side with threads, that allows the ball to come out. I pulled the spring out, cleaned everything up and reinstalled the fitting. My primer bulb now pumps up easier and the starving out until I pump the bulb has disappeared. I believe the anti siphon valve and the primer bulb check valve were creating an air lock between them some how. According to USCG regulations, unless your motor is lower that your fuel tank you are not required to have the anti siphon valve.  

43 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Get Rid of the Anti Siphon. My SHO was doing the same thing, but not as bad. Removed the anti siphon and it seems to have cleared up. Had already replaced primer bulb twice. As a side note there is a drain on the bottom on the vst tank with a hose attached. You can drain it and check for fuel.

I removed the anti siphon fitting. I took a 3/8 drill bit and drilled out a 1/4 inch on the side with threads, that allows the ball to come out. I pulled the spring out, cleaned everything up and reinstalled the fitting. My primer bulb now pumps up easier and the starving out until I pump the bulb has disappeared. I believe the anti siphon valve and the primer bulb check valve were creating an air lock between them some how. According to USCG regulations, unless your motor is lower that your fuel tank you are not required to have the anti siphon valve.  

Hmm that’s interesting I’ll try to that too.. does yours have that stupid vapor canister on the tank?

It Does Not.  "Vapor Canister"  Sound like something only a car or truck should have. After I saw that anti-siphon valve all I could think was if that thing ever stuck closed out in the wilderness, however unlikely that is, I would be screwed. No way to MacGyver that. 

If you decide to remove the Anti siphon keep in mind the fuel hose will not come off the fitting easy. I had enough fuel hose slack that I was able to cut the hose the length of the fitting with a razor knife and peal the line off. Mine also had two hose clamp but with the size of the clamps only one was effective, the second was just show so I was certain not to over tighten it and crush the hose at the end of the fitting.

just my experience.

3 minutes ago, jh141 said:

It Does Not.  "Vapor Canister"  Sound like something only a car or truck should have. After I saw that anti-siphon valve all I could think was if that thing ever stuck closed out in the wilderness, however unlikely that is, I would be screwed. No way to MacGyver that. 

If you decide to remove the Anti siphon keep in mind the fuel hose will not come off the fitting easy. I had enough fuel hose slack that I was able to cut the hose the length of the fitting with a razor knife and peal the line off. Mine also had two hose clamp but with the size of the clamps only one was effective, the second was just show so I was certain not to over tighten it and crush the hose at the end of the fitting.

just my experience.

Yea it’s ridiculous in my opinion but alright I appreciate it I’ll give that a shot thanks