Best EPIRB?

East Coast Dave

I want to start going offshore every now and then to try to fish some of the wrecks that or maybe 5 to 7 miles offshore. Always been an inshore guy and plan to ease into it. What would be your recommendation for the best EPIB for me to install on the Pathfinder? What about the personal locator beacons like the ACR type?  Should you have both?  I know you can never be too safe but wanted to get your opinion?  Anything in particular I should look for or watch-out for?  Maybe be stupid questions but I just want to be as safe as possible with friends and family onboard and try to make and educated purchase. 

thanks. 

ACR.

Some PLB's don't offer all the features of a EPIRB. I would have both just because it's easy to carry the PLB anywhere you go, woods or waters and it's registered to your person. The Epirb is registered to your vessel with critical info that will help expedite a SAR.

Do not get either without completing the NOAA registration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, lil Bingo said:

We have an ACR ResQLink PLB. In the river I just leave it in it's floaty bag, but I put it in  my pocket when going through the inlet or offshore.

I hope I never get to tell you that it works !

Looking at these.  Have you had any issues mounting or wearing it?  Does the unit fit in a pocket or have a belt loop attachment?  Does it appear that you could accidentally activate it while in your pocket or stuffed in a go bag?