Low Pressure fuel pump @ 300 hrs?

jason p

So I'm getting ready to order parts for my 500 hr service and flipping through the SELOC manual when I came across this, "Yamaha has started recommending changing fuel pumps at 300 hours, check your owners manual". So I looked at my owners manual and sure enough it's true...Whoops

Am I the only one that hasn't been doing this? Has anyone had any issues at, or around 300 hrs? Those joints are expensive too! I'm seriously considering stashing one on-board in a food saver bag until the original dies.

If its pricey, I wouldn't carry the new one on the boat waiting for the current one to die. But thats my luck it would be broke when I needed it. Would either swap it out or wait for it to crap out.

I would however, keep the old one on the boat after replacing, if that's possible.

Interesting. I'd be interested to know that if the motor is under warranty and the pump fails after 300 hours if the part is covered or they say it's a regular service item. It almost seems they have reliability issues with them on occasion and decided to make it a service item to place the costs on the consumer. Of course that's just an ***umption.

If it's something that can be changed on the water, the idea of keeping a new one watertight on the boat just in case isn't a bad idea.

In the world of $50K flats boats it's not that pricey I guess, they're $175 from SIM Yamaha. I think the part that hurts my feelings is that there doesn't appear to be a rebuild kit like every other fuel pump in the history of boating. There's a breakdown of the pump on the Yammy diagrams but the individual parts aren't available separately. Oh well I guess I'll just pull the trigger, I'd never hear the end of it from the wife, pumping the primer ball all the way back to the ramp or spending the night in the Everglades to save $175.

they're $175 from SIM Yamaha

OUCH! I think for my 250 there were $30.

If you are in good with a local dealer it might be worth it to go ask if it is something that needs to be done. It might be one of those things that only need replacing if your motor is doing this or that.

What motors are we talking about here guys?

I for one would want to see where the motor manufacturer literature recommends it vs a non affiliated companies repair manual

It's a F115. My SELOC manual references the Yamaha owner's manual which is where the 300hr interval comes from. It actually states "inspect or replace as necessary"

So anyway, I just tested it with a Mighty Vac, it's out of spec... I'm done crying...for now.

It's got a "leak down" specification. Plug the inlet and put a vacuum on the outlet. It's supposed to hold a certain vacuum for 10 seconds. It's also supposed to hold a certain pressure through the inlet. Mine wouldn't hold either number. I can look it up for your motor if you like. Just let me know.

I don't have a link but it's very straight forward, I'll paraphrase from the SELOC manual:

1.Apply 7.3 psi to the INLET while restricting the outlet. Should hold for at least 10 seconds.

2 Apply 4.4 psi of vacuum to the INLET while restricting the outlet. Again should hold vacuum for 10 seconds.

3. Apply 7.3 psi to the OUTLET while restricting the inlet. Again pressure should hold for 10 seconds.

I used my finger to plug the respective inlet/outlet. The manual stated that some pumps have two outlets but the test is the same just plug both on the first two steps and apply pressure to either outlet on the third step.

***The specifications listed are the same for F25 - F150 motors***

Archived