2001 1900V Fuel Tank Replacement

SCAngler

My 1900V has strong gas smell inside the hatches and under the deck.  Can't find a leak and can't find any liquid gas in bilge, so I talked to Pathfinder and they think it's the gas fumes permeating the fuel tank walls.  I'd like to replace the tank, but I'm unsure the best way to do it.  Doesn't look like there's an easy way to get it out.  Would appreciate some advice from someone that's done it.

Thanks!

Before you tear out your tank, carefully check your fuel fill and vent hoses for cracks. Also check the security of the hose clamps at both ends. It is also possible that the fuel line running from the tank to the engine is going bad. This is especially true if ethanol-based fuel has been used in the boat. 

2 hours ago, hawg said:

Before you tear out your tank, carefully check your fuel fill and vent hoses for cracks. Also check the security of the hose clamps at both ends. It is also possible that the fuel line running from the tank to the engine is going bad. This is especially true if ethanol-based fuel has been used in the boat. 

Exactly, good information. Also check the sending unit of top of the tank and the anti-siphon valve connection. Remember, gasoline fumes are heavier than air, so any leak or opening for vapors to escape will settle to the lowest point of the boat. Just the slightest little opening in a hose connection or threaded connection will fill the hull with fumes.

Make sure you move the boat outside and ventilate the hull before starting work.