Handheld VHF Radio - Best Option

flatsfisher772

Have been wanting to invest in a handheld VHF radio for the boat. Got a Cobra MR HH350 for Christmas. It's a 6 watt, floating, handheld VHF radio. Nothing super fancy but it got good reviews and was about $100. It does not have GPS or DSC functions.

I have a 16 foot flats boat and will be fishing inshore 99% of the time. Maybe at some point I would fish off the beach or take the boat to the keys but I will not be heading offshore very far if I ever do. So my questions are:

Is it stupid not to have a VHF with the GPS and DSC capabilities? Its about another hundred for these features.

Does anyone know if this particular radio is a good radio?

Are there any particular brands and or models you would recommend?

Since this is for emergency situations I want to do it right but also not spend an arm an a leg.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't go with out it if you go offshore even a little and even not far... ask yourself IF your boat starts sinking or catches fire and youre gonna end up treading water with the sharks is the xtra money going to be worth it to then?

All you gotta do is push a button and someone will know you declared you need help and your exact location? Even if you don't get a verbal message out someone is coming to that spot to look around for the source. Things are gonna happen to fast if they do happen and in a lot of cases you don't have time to think or have your wits about you to do what you need to do, so to me its comforting to know all I gotta do is hit the button and try to get a message out if I can. I know you say youll not got far but you don't have to, to be in a world of trouble, the oceans a big place.

Having said that Id also recommend going with a boat mounted unit... 5 watts max on a hand held vs 25 on boat mounted... do the math on range

Most importantly, remember that VHF is line-of-sight only. I'm not sure where you fish but if your back in the mangroves or surrounded by any tall vegetation you not getting your transmission out unless there's a reciever in the air above you.

Do a quick radio check (SeaTow seems to always be listening) next time you go out and make sure.

The old school guys would carry a portable vhf antenna with 20 feet of line to attach to their push pole for deep in the backcountry. The cheapest way for piece of mind in an emergency situation may be to just purchase a plb - ACR Resqlink. They are around $250, (and were recently having a $50 rebate). Tight lines...

I got a Globalstar phone due to the line of sight restrictions of a handheld. Seemed like the best of all worlds as when you call 911 it automatically knows your position of forwards it to local authorities. You DO have to have a completely clear view of the sky and the greater the clear arc the better the signal is, however I presume that to be a restriction on most sat phones. For those that are interested you get the phone for free ($500) with a one year contract at $65/month or a one year phone pool of like 1200 minutes for $780.

The old school guys would carry a portable vhf antenna with 20 feet of line to attach to their push pole for deep in the backcountry. The cheapest way for piece of mind in an emergency situation may be to just purchase a plb - ACR Resqlink. They are around $250, (and were recently having a $50 rebate). Tight lines...

This is what I do with a 36" Metz antenna, 23' push pole and zip ties. Hailed Cg Key West from Pearl Bay, west of Hells Bay and up North near Gunboat Island.

While true about line of sight, I was in a canoe in the backwaters of St John's River and found myself in bad situation. Using my handheld (ICOM 5 watt) - no extra antenna, the USCG station at Port Canaveral was able to hear, communicate and triangulate my position.

So for ship to ship, agree mounted with antenna is better - that said, the CG has some pretty amazing antennas.

Had mounted unit on Hewes (hardly ever used).. always had a handheld in ditch bag. today I only carry the handheld. But yes, 2 is better than 1 of most everything.

Archived