2013 2400 TRS Instruments Layout - Adding a Compass

cbondy

Looking to add a Ritchie compass to my 2013 Pathfinder 2400 TRS.  Ritchie offers a couple of models designed for dash mounting requiring either a 2" or 3" hole.  I am leaning toward the larger, 3" model and position it as shown in the attached pic between my Lowrance GPS and Sonic Hub.  My question is the larger compass just too big for this position and possibly make the dash too weak structurally?   Better off going with the smaller, less capable (no compensation feature) compass? Maybe a different position? Appreciate any advice from more experienced riggers. 

Instuments Layout.jpg

This is where my compass is located, not a problem with correct readings until about a year ago. Old, needs replacing but not doing so. Do not use it. Picture shows reading is off from what the gps shows for those with zoom or eagle eyes. Think the cup holder is just fine where it is. Serves a purpose. Question, has the hole already been cut. It appears so but might be wrong. Why the need for a compass, you have the gps. As a backup you can use your cell phone or have a hand held marine type as a back up. With a regular compass like the one you want there are factors to consider when using it. Wind, current, deviation and speed your going. Will not work correctly if these factors are not put into place. JMO. 😀🙏 fin

Have the same ugly cup holder on my console. Can see part of it in photo. lol 

B6A6C00C-0C75-4313-9727-FE155FE750FE.jpeg

A couple of years ago, I was 31 miles offshore and my GPS had a electrical problem and shutdown.  Getting home wasn’t a problem because I had my flat card compass  mounted on the center line of my console.  

I also use my compass, in conjunction with my mapping program, in the fog.

Thanks to all that provided feedback on my question. Much appreciated.  I also contacted my dealer, Mt. Houston Marine for input.  The fiberglass on that Pathfinder dash is about 1/2" thick and pretty bullet proof.  Also got a bit of information from the compass manufacturer, Ritchie.  They advised the audio system speaker magnets will interfere with the compass heading if too close (w/in 18"). Not a problem here since they are mounted low on the console sides.  Attached is the installed compass. Plan to try it out this weekend on a trip to Galveston West Bay. Thanks again!

Compass Installed.jpg

• Like 1

A neet trick when dealing with compass and magnetic interference is to use the compass on a phone app.Open up the app and as you walk around with it you will see the needle swing and the app warn you of the interference. You keep moving around until you find a spot with the least interference.