Isalmorada

Zlenart

Just booked my first trip to Islamorada in early August! Wondering if anyone has any tips for the area? Any submerged structure to avoid, tricky water to navigate, best places to eat etc. I've been to Marathon a few times and it was great, but pretty straight forward and just rented an offshore boat. Hoping to get some good backcountry fishing in this trip, as well as offshore. 

Just like anywhere else you visit, just buy a good map, study it, and learn where the safe water is. For bay side that would be the ICW and channels attached to it. Ocean side will have a few low water areas but once a mile or so off shore; go for it! Just study your maps and see how your GPS shows it. August is HOT and the threat of hurricanes pick up so watch your weather 7-10 days out before heading down to make sure everything looks good!

If you have fished Chokoloskee, then the keys is a cake walk as far as not running aground. You can actually see bottom and the cuts.  Not sure exactly where you are staying, but if you have FMT for gps, it will show you the inshore routes up into ENP if you want. If not, the cuts are shown on enough maps you could add to your gps.

I personally dont go to the keys to catch reds and snook, which we pretty much fish for here.  I would rather fish the patch reefs, troll offshore, or bridges for tarpon.  You can have a day of fishing and fill a cooler by bouncing around the patch reefs with chum and cut bait and not venture outside the reef line.  

• Like 1

Waterproof Chart #E33. You can run any marked route (except maybe the drag overs south of Madeira Bay) in a bay boat. Stay on plane through the cuts (marked with 4x4s) the first time through. 
I don’t mean to sound preachy but E33 has inbound and outbound headings to the cuts, throughout much of Florida Bay. I suggest you have your partner read them as you navigate by compass. You will pick up pertinent landmarks and potential unmarked hazards by reading the compass periodically and reading the water constantly. Besides if you’re locked on your chart plotter the whole time you’ll really miss what the place is all about. 

• Like 1

As far as dining goes, you can't beat Lazy Days down near Bud & Mary's. Wahoos up by Whale Harbor has a pretty good happy hour, just get there early. Green Turtle also a good spot for breakfast and dinner. Lorelei is a fun place for a sunset boat trip and the food is pretty decent. I am sure some locals from the area will chime in as well with their favorites. Are you staying on ocean side or bayside, upper or lower Matecumbe? Limestone bottom is not a huge problem on the bayside but can get you on the oceanside if you're running around during a low tide especially on lower Mat. .Like others have said, get a map or chart or better yet if you have FMT you can get dialed in. August is bloody hot so early am and late afternoons will be  better times if fishing near shore. Have fun and enjoy!

4 hours ago, Zlenart said:

Just booked my first trip to Islamorada in early August! Wondering if anyone has any tips for the area? Any submerged structure to avoid, tricky water to navigate, best places to eat etc. I've been to Marathon a few times and it was great, but pretty straight forward and just rented an offshore boat. Hoping to get some good backcountry fishing in this trip, as well as offshore. 

yellow tailing offshore...straight off Tavenier Key...about 60-80 feet.

Bring a minimum of 75  lbs of chum, keep two boxes over the side at all the time, #4 hooks or yellotail jigs, split shot, 10-15 # fluorocarbon line....a bucket of oats...look for ledges, get on the reef at sunrise and line up with the commercial guys who are usually on the reef...

use silversides, squid strips, bonita strip, small tiny pieces....about 1/4" wide, 1/2 " wide and drift back in the chum and oats...don't over feed them with oats...about 1/2 cup ever few minutes to bring them up...

If there is no current, pack it and look for current....

DC

It’s pretty simple there...if you are near Robbie’s....go East to Alligator Reef ( you cant miss it ) or go West to Everglades National Park depending on the weather and what species of fish you want to target. Get a good navigation chart of that area and look at it before you go. Make a plan A and plan B...depending on weather conditions. That’s a great time to go...it’s usually slick as glass then.  Good Luck

thanks for all the info guys! I did run choko, but in a gheenoe with a 1978 evinrude tiller that would pop up when I hit bottom lol. We'll probably only fish in the glades one day and spend the rest fishing for mahi and patch reefs. If we're lucky then maybe run to the hump on a nice day.

Staying at La Jolla on the bayside. I have a Garmin, so FMT is not an option unfortunately. 

• Like 1

La Jolla is right in the middle of everything there....only a few miles to Alligator Reef....eat at Square Grouper or Hungry Tarpon...it’s all going to be good because they all are so excited about tourism opening back up. Take the family to Robbie’s and let them feed the Tarpon  also.  You’ll have a blast.... 

• Like 1

I've tried Lazy days twice, didn't work for me.  The best meal I've had is Chef Michael's which is almost across the street from wide world of sports.  I've had the duck twice best I've ever had but don't see it on the menu now.  The lamb is also delicious.  Trade that Garmin for a Lowrance  and get FMT. 😳

https://foursquare.com/v/chef-michaels/4efa8bbfd3e354f0bfebef41/menu

2 hours ago, Sunstone said:

I've tried Lazy days twice, didn't work for me.  The best meal I've had is Chef Michael's which is almost across the street from wide world of sports.  I've had the duck twice best I've ever had but don't see it on the menu now.  The lamb is also delicious.  Trade that Garmin for a Lowrance  and get FMT. 😳

https://foursquare.com/v/chef-michaels/4efa8bbfd3e354f0bfebef41/menu

I wish lol. I had a simrad before and loved it. There are quite a few other improvements that are ahead of that on my list, but I may eventually switch it out. 

If you are interested and want to create a track, I have numbers for the way to Flamingo from around Twin Key bank. It is how I learned the way. They take you by Rabbit Keys on the way. Good snapper hole. That Twin Key also has some good fishing in the cuts right next to the islands.

If you have ran much around Port of Islands, Chocko or Marco Island.... you’ll have no problem reading the water around Islamorada. There are two kinds of Captains...the ones that have hit the bottom before ...and the ones that will. The Keys are dying for tourism so you’ll be treated like Royalty everywhere you go....it’s a great time to visit. 

On 6/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, jh141 said:

If you are interested and want to create a track, I have numbers for the way to Flamingo from around Twin Key bank. It is how I learned the way. They take you by Rabbit Keys on the way. Good snapper hole. That Twin Key also has some good fishing in the cuts right next to the islands.

That would be great!

On 6/5/2020 at 5:32 PM, fishmanjj said:

If you have ran much around Port of Islands, Chocko or Marco Island.... you’ll have no problem reading the water around Islamorada. There are two kinds of Captains...the ones that have hit the bottom before ...and the ones that will. The Keys are dying for tourism so you’ll be treated like Royalty everywhere you go....it’s a great time to visit. 

That's good to hear. I'm definitely much more careful now that I know hitting bottom could mean losing a lower unit since I'm cruising at 45 with a 250 rather than 25 mph with my 20hp tiller lol

2 hours ago, Zlenart said:

That's good to hear. I'm definitely much more careful now that I know hitting bottom could mean losing a lower unit since I'm cruising at 45 with a 250 rather than 25 mph with my 20hp tiller lol

There used to be a series of numbers to run to that have been posted where you just put them in as waypoints and run to them

It takes you through the twisty mile or the north route.

Check on Fla Sportsman Forum or maybe someone here has it...with FMT..it's a no brainer...if you have someone who could do a review of the FMT route, you could get the GPS numbers.

Good luck...

Summer tides are not as extreme but, follow the Keys Rule:

If you don't know, go slow

If you see brown, go around

Also, running aground in the keys is not as bad as Chokoloskee...mostly sand, not oyster bars like the 10k's......ask me how I know this :)

And yes, if you ain't run aground....u b feeeshing way 2 deep :)

DC

• Like 1