Trailering Your Boat In S. Florida, Just an FYI

MuddyBottomBluz

This morning in Southwest Miami Dade County I see a beautiful Scout Bay boat heading South down US1 and knew immediately they were not locals and probably headed to the keys. As they past by I could not help but notice all of those shiny rods & reels sitting in the rod holders, the gold was glistening, every holder filled. I catch up to them and sure enough a nice young couple from South Carolina with a big O'le dog. I stopped them at a red light and advised them that the further south they go, chances are their rods will get snatched while at a red light. It happens every day, especially at the last light before the 19 mile stretch into the keys. They run up, your in traffic and they grab'em, not only rods but I have heard cases of even GPS taken because the driver is preoccupied, and they're gone and you can't chase them because sometimes they have a car waiting for them. So keep this in the back of you're head when going south, this includes ENP Homestead. I know most of us would not put our rods in holders when trailering our boats; but your friends and neighbors might.

There is hope though, you can actually get all of your equipment back. Simply go to the nearest pawn shop to where the incident occurred and buy it all back!

• Thanks 1

I have never had a problem and I go down there often. Then again we do not display and possibly we do not look like an easy target (  young couple from South Carolina with a big O'le dog) I would send a message if need be. Maybe their message would be that Big O'le dog.

It's four lanes of traffic each way, when that light turns red they can snatch it so fast and be gone before you get out of your vehicle. We are not talking a few cars either, depending on your message, it could cost you a lot more than a fishing pole. There have been bikes snatched out of boats, etc. If it is not secure and can be picked up and is valuable it is game on. Best thing is to be vigilant of your surroundings and hope other motorists will notify you if they see something. And yes jh, don't show them your property, they do not look in boats, they already see what they want.

1 hour ago, Smoak352 said:

This is crazy that place is... 

Its not that bad .I run through there all the time at 5:00 am and sometimes after midnight. I have not heard of there being any problems. It is actually the road and roads to paradise.  You can not and will not find better fishing anywhere. Between the Keys and Everglades National Park we have what others only wish they had. Like anywhere in the world, situational awareness and common sense and you will not have any problems. Now, would I live down there, no, to crowded, I chose to live in Southwest Broward county. 

If you want to see beaches only the raccoons and crocodiles walk on, wildlife every direction you look and one of the largest (1.5 million acres, 750 thousand are water) and most remote and diverse Eco systems on the planet let me know. I can run you right to it.

DJI_0099.JPG

• Like 1