Possibly ruined 1810v

waterman7474

It's a long story but I kind of re-inherited my old 2000 1810v that I sold to a college buddy 12 years ago.  It needs a lot of love to say the least...  He said if I helped him get it back up and running, he'd pay for all the parts and we'd have it as another boat for whatever. 

The big problem is that it was sitting in a lot for almost 2 years....................WITH THE PLUG IN IT!!!  (don't get me started....wooo-ssaaaaa). 

Sooooo, it had water up to the front hatch essentially.  In digging around trying to *** the damage, up front under the casting deck the carpet was pulled back and in under that, there was the decking and, I never noticed before but there 2 or 3 two inch holes that when I crammed my finger down in, it seemed like there was foam that was completely saturated (obviously...).  I really don't remember that being there before but it clearly was. 

So, how far aft doe this "layer" go?  Was it just a padded area up front for anchors and stuff to not hit the inside layer of the hull itself?

Secondly....how trashed is the hull you think?  Probably pretty bad right??   I don't really remember much about the construction of the first gen pathfinders. 

I don't see any obvious signs of bubbling from the exterior, like maybe the glass is waterlogged and expanding. 

Clearly there are lots of other issues to attend to (new wiring, new fuel filter assembly, new bilge and livewell pumps and a metric shittone of wax and polish) but I don't want to throw too much effort into it if it is trashed. 

And the motor is the original Yam SW130.  It was running at 90% when parked (yeah...I know) and he never really had any problems with it.  I know they are pretty bullet proof motors so I'm going to throw some new plugs, wires, fuel pump and try and drain out the carbs and clean them best I can without a complete removal. 

He was having the typical overheating problem that they have where it will run up and anything over 70% throttle and overheat alarm and limp, let it idle for a min then it is fine.  He had two mechanics look at it and go over it incessantly, throw a bunch of parts at it, flush it like crazy and couldn't ever find the problem.  I don't think they ever took the heads apart and physically cleaned the water jacket though.  Probably go ahead and replace the thermostats for good measure too?

I would not think the hull is ruined. I’m not even sure it would “Need” to be cut up to have the foam removed. I would honestly just get the plug out and jack the front end high. So what if it’s a little heavy. Well at least for the intended purpose of “ just getting it going again”. I have owned a couple of whalers and followed there forums for a while. Some folks assume all the old bulls are wet. I had a whaler that someone cut a plug in the gunnel to instal a stern light. The light was long gone and the hole was holding water. I dug a little foam out and the foam was bone dry under the hole. I would dry the hull clean it up and worry more about the old Yamaha. It sounds like you have a good handle on what the motor is going to need.