Fire extinguisher placement

Docsuds

4 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I have my fire extinguisher mounted inside the door of my console where it stays dry and is in easy reach.

The Coast Guard requires the fire extinguisher to be mounted not just rolling around in a storage compartment. 

Curious as to where that is stated. Mine are not mounted in my Regulator or Pathfinder and the Coasties and their Auxiliary have done inspections and have never mentioned any kind of problem. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Curious as to where that is stated. Mine are not mounted in my Regulator or Pathfinder and the Coasties and their Auxiliary have done inspections and have never mentioned any kind of problem. 

I asked the local CG Aux. here too, and they told me it did not have to be mounted, just onboard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Many years ago I received a warning from the Coast Guard because I did not have my fire extinguisher mounted.

I hear you. Last time I was on the water inspected by the CG the kid told me my throwable HAD to be outside my storage locker. I looked at the kid and asked "has to be outside the locker or you think it would be better that way?" "Show me something in writing that states that." "Not trying to argue with you but I have never heard that one." He stated it would be better and dropped it. I did not go into the fact that I was on the boat alone and in the locker or not if I fell over board it would be a challenge to throw it to myself. I have NOTHING against the Coast Guard, they do a fine job.

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

Throwable devices must be immediately available for use . They should be on the main deck within arm’s reach, hanging on a lifeline, or other easily reached location (key words should be/easily reached location)

It is recommended that hand portable extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible location . (key word recommended)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...